My BX14 RE- Sold.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by white exec »

Front subframe: strongest part is where the securing bolts are, at towards the rear of the subframe, or (just as good) use the two large flat areas of the subframe under the lower wishbones, a little further forward.

Rear: Immediately under the rear hydraulic ram gaiters is a metal cross-piece with a central hole. You can jack up under this point, spreading the load across the metal frame that surrounds the ram. A good secure place for axle stands is under the heavy cross-tube linking the two units.
Chris
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

white exec wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:54 pm Front subframe: strongest part is where the securing bolts are, at towards the rear of the subframe, or (just as good) use the two large flat areas of the subframe under the lower wishbones, a little further forward.

Rear: Immediately under the rear hydraulic ram gaiters is a metal cross-piece with a central hole. You can jack up under this point, spreading the load across the metal frame that surrounds the ram. A good secure place for axle stands is under the heavy cross-tube linking the two units.
Out of curiousity, would it be easy to lower the car onto axle stands if I placed them under the rear beam? I can see that being very useful for quickly removing and reinstalling the rear wheels.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Good solid place for axle stands.
Chris
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

https://autoshite.com/topic/36188-fumbl ... nt-2341461
Replaced the gaiter. Oh how much fun that was.
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Looks a lovely job, I think you need to buy some overalls ready for the other side :wink:
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

panky wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:32 pm Looks a lovely job, I think you need to buy some overalls ready for the other side :wink:
Stupid thing is that I have two sets and I didn't bring a single one! I even forgot to bring my packed lunch!

The other side is alright for now but it'll need doing next year. My go-to place for tyres and anything wheel related also does alignments, they might think differently and if they want to replace it, I may give them the pleasure of doing it :twisted:

I'm taking it easy today as I woke up stiff as a board and aching all over. I've washed the front wheel trims (as I took them off yesterday) in preparation for painting later on today. I'll get the rears off tomorrow hopefully. I've also got paint and other stuff to make the boot floor look nice and shiny, but that'll have to wait as the Micra needs a patch let into the sill and I only have limited days off from work.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

From this:
PXL_20210814_165032420.jpg
To this:
PXL_20210814_165941005.jpg
Now to get the rears off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Re: My BX14 RE- NOW WITH LEAKS!

Post by Fumbler »

PXL_20210824_110238278.jpg
Oh dear.
PXL_20210824_110358550.jpg
A hose on the strut has finally had enough and has widdled fluid overnight as the car sank down onto the bump stops. Busted return line or something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yup, strut return pipes. Either patch in some silicone hose or get new from Chevronics.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Jaba wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:36 pm Yup, strut return pipes. Either patch in some silicone hose or get new from Chevronics.
That's good to know. What size hose should I be looking for and what do the clips look like in case I need a replacement?
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Both parts (clamp-on return hose and the special securing clip) still available from Citroen:
BX front strut return hoses.JPG
Take a look to see where one of the hoses has split. Should be easy to spot with the wheel off.
You may be able to insert a short length of stiff nylon tube into the hose where the split is.
If not, just replace with new parts.
Chris
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

How generous of them!

As an aside, how drivable is the car with this leak? I understand it'll widdle everywhere I park it for extended periods of time. I need to get petrol but that's the only essential journey I've got to do in it. The Micra can take me to work this week without any fuss.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

It’s perfectly drivable as is, safety wise. the pair of strut returns are not even proper return hoses: it’s a “leak back” and a vent pipe if I recall. If the struts are worn then there’ll be more leakage back, but the lhm certainly won’t be gushing out. Obv a good idea to fix fairly soon mind you, as you’ll have to keep topping up the fluid!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

RobC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:03 pm It’s perfectly drivable as is, safety wise. the pair of strut returns are not even proper return hoses: it’s a “leak back” and a vent pipe if I recall. If the struts are worn then there’ll be more leakage back, but the lhm certainly won’t be gushing out. Obv a good idea to fix fairly soon mind you, as you’ll have to keep topping up the fluid!
Great! I've devised a repair I can do at the end of the week. I'm rather glad it's not absolutely the end of the world but the fact it'll mark its territory won't bode well with the carpark at work. I'll dump it at the unit with a drip tray underneath to catch anything that comes out.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

PXL_20210824_151547503.jpg
Ah! The vent has been broken for a long while it seems. Firstly, the pipe is way too short to meet up with the rubber block and secondly, it's very dusty. The return must have snapped when I started the car yesterday. Repairable fortunately.