My BX14 RE- Sold.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by Fumbler »

Kitch wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 am
Fumbler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:45 pm
Even if I bought a Solex/Weber 32/34 for a Peugeot 205 XS (same engine as the BX), I'd still have to contend with the autochoke. What's the solution?
No you wouldn't, they're manual choke. Same as an AX GT.
...Which is what I originally thought until I enquired to the proprietor of Carburettor Hospital, who said "all 32/34s have automatic chokes". He had 2 205XS/AXGT carburettors for sale, with automatic waxstat chokes, for £400 and change per item. I decided to instead get a NOS 32/34 for a 1.6 XU engine and muck about with that over the winter, seeing if I can convert it to a manual choke, rejetting it etc. I may find out that it's still not ideal but I don't mind- at least I will have learned something. I'm not intending on doing any swappage of intakes and fuel system parts for a while, though- the car's going in today to have a strut replaced and a sticky height corrector at the front looked at.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

This may be a bit harsh but I wasn’t particularly impressed by the Carburettor Hospital’s advice when I spoke to them years ago about my old Renault Master. Maybe take what they say with a pinch of salt. Great name though!
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Fumbler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 am
Kitch wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 am
Fumbler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:45 pm
Even if I bought a Solex/Weber 32/34 for a Peugeot 205 XS (same engine as the BX), I'd still have to contend with the autochoke. What's the solution?
No you wouldn't, they're manual choke. Same as an AX GT.
...Which is what I originally thought until I enquired to the proprietor of Carburettor Hospital, who said "all 32/34s have automatic chokes". He had 2 205XS/AXGT carburettors for sale, with automatic waxstat chokes, for £400 and change per item. I decided to instead get a NOS 32/34 for a 1.6 XU engine and muck about with that over the winter, seeing if I can convert it to a manual choke, rejetting it etc. I may find out that it's still not ideal but I don't mind- at least I will have learned something. I'm not intending on doing any swappage of intakes and fuel system parts for a while, though- the car's going in today to have a strut replaced and a sticky height corrector at the front looked at.
He's talking bollocks. I categorically tell you that the Z2 32/34 carbs fitted to the 205Xs and AX GT have manual chokes. The Z1 34/34 as fitted to BX 16 and 19 have auto chokes, sure.

With a BX14 (TU), you literally just buy the Solex carb and inlet from an AX GT, and bolt it on.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Kitch wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:21 pm Image
And that's the picture that confused me. I trusted what the man on the phone said but when I enquired on the price, I decided against it. I even gave serial numbers and I got a "NOPE, they're all automatic choke models" despite their catalogue saying otherwise. Fortunately, that's behind me for the moment as I have the intake manifold and a 32/34 of sorts to play around with. Actually finding the manifold was easier than finding the correct carburettorfor the job. I thought it would be the other way round.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Fumbler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:26 pm
And that's the picture that confused me. I trusted what the man on the phone said but when I enquired on the price, I decided against it. I even gave serial numbers and I got a "NOPE, they're all automatic choke models" despite their catalogue saying otherwise. Fortunately, that's behind me for the moment as I have the intake manifold and a 32/34 of sorts to play around with. Actually finding the manifold was easier than finding the correct carburettorfor the job. I thought it would be the other way round.
That's a bummer, he's mistaken I'm afraid. Even the ZX 1.4 (which ran the same carb, initially) had a manual choke.

In fact, I'm struggling to think of any 1.4 carb-fed Citroen or Peugeot that didn't have a manual choke!

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Kitch wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:05 pm
That's a bummer, he's mistaken I'm afraid. Even the ZX 1.4 (which ran the same carb, initially) had a manual choke.

In fact, I'm struggling to think of any 1.4 carb-fed Citroen or Peugeot that didn't have a manual choke!
I thought they all were a manual choke, however I narrowly missed out on a Peugeot 205 XS intake manifold with XS carburettor on top- it had an autochoke on it. In fact, every single one I've seen for sale anywhere has been an autochoke model regardless of the engine it was designed for. At the moment the only 23/34 manual choke carburettor I can find are used Weber 32/34 DMTLs off old Fords. I'll eventually get the correct item, but considering I waited 2 months to get just the intake manifold, I will probably be waiting a while yet before something pops up.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Fumbler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:41 pm

I thought they all were a manual choke, however I narrowly missed out on a Peugeot 205 XS intake manifold with XS carburettor on top- it had an autochoke on it. In fact, every single one I've seen for sale anywhere has been an autochoke model regardless of the engine it was designed for. At the moment the only 23/34 manual choke carburettor I can find are used Weber 32/34 DMTLs off old Fords. I'll eventually get the correct item, but considering I waited 2 months to get just the intake manifold, I will probably be waiting a while yet before something pops up.
They are all a manual choke. The only possibility is that the 205XT (which replaced the XS) switched to autochoke (I think some may also have been SPFI) as it was an end of line production model. Could have been an XT choke being mis-sold as an XS one, but XS were definitely manual choke. I've worked on them, and certainly no UK-spec AX model ever had an autochoke, either.
As I say, visually the Solex Z1 as fitted to BX16 & 19 was autochoke, and visually (apart from the autochoke bit) it does look the same as the AX's Z2 unit. 1.9 engine was 34/34, but I think the 1.6 may have been 32/34, so it's possible it's one of those being mistaken for a 205 or AX item.

But anyway, the AX GT carb is a dead-easy fit to a BX14 (TU-spec). I've done it myself. Aside from the cam (allegedly) and the big bore exhaust downpipe with divider, it's the only difference to the BX's engine spec.

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Kitch wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:32 pm

They are all a manual choke. The only possibility is that the 205XT (which replaced the XS) switched to autochoke (I think some may also have been SPFI) as it was an end of line production model. Could have been an XT choke being mis-sold as an XS one, but XS were definitely manual choke. I've worked on them, and certainly no UK-spec AX model ever had an autochoke, either.
As I say, visually the Solex Z1 as fitted to BX16 & 19 was autochoke, and visually (apart from the autochoke bit) it does look the same as the AX's Z2 unit. 1.9 engine was 34/34, but I think the 1.6 may have been 32/34, so it's possible it's one of those being mistaken for a 205 or AX item.

But anyway, the AX GT carb is a dead-easy fit to a BX14 (TU-spec). I've done it myself. Aside from the cam (allegedly) and the big bore exhaust downpipe with divider, it's the only difference to the BX's engine spec.
Indeed the thing I've bought is a Weber 32/34 DRTC which replaces the Solex models. Physically I cannot see any difference and I'm fairly sure the jetting and emulsion tubes are different to suit the 1.6 engine. Mechanically, it'll work (with tinkering) and it'll physically fit onto the manifold, from what I can tell. It'll be interesting to see to making some sort of manual choke conversion. Failure is definitely an option on this, but it gives me something to do and the carburettor currently installed on the car is doing well.
I have looked at the exhaust on the car and the downpipe is unusually big. It almost looks likea tubular exhaust manifold should mate to it.

I forgot to add this earlier but I phoned the garage up to ask them to stick all the parts they replace in the boot. It turns out the front spheres are shot, which would explain the stiff ride. Work on the car starts tomorrow.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Fumbler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Indeed the thing I've bought is a Weber 32/34 DRTC which replaces the Solex models. Physically I cannot see any difference and I'm fairly sure the jetting and emulsion tubes are different to suit the 1.6 engine. Mechanically, it'll work (with tinkering) and it'll physically fit onto the manifold, from what I can tell. It'll be interesting to see to making some sort of manual choke conversion. Failure is definitely an option on this, but it gives me something to do and the carburettor currently installed on the car is doing well.
I have looked at the exhaust on the car and the downpipe is unusually big. It almost looks likea tubular exhaust manifold should mate to it.

I forgot to add this earlier but I phoned the garage up to ask them to stick all the parts they replace in the boot. It turns out the front spheres are shot, which would explain the stiff ride. Work on the car starts tomorrow.
My mk1 BX has the DRTC (they were actually replaced in production by the Solex after around 1985). It had a manual conversion on it when I got it, but I switched it back to autochoke. It wouldn't be difficult to plumb in an autochoke in, in fairness. They work pretty well, it's just people don't know how to set them up properly.
Obviously the Weber was never fitted to an AX, so double check it fits the inlet manifold, and don't forget you'll want a heat-plate if it didn't come with it.

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Kitch wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am
Fumbler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:51 pm

My mk1 BX has the DRTC (they were actually replaced in production by the Solex after around 1985). It had a manual conversion on it when I got it, but I switched it back to autochoke. It wouldn't be difficult to plumb in an autochoke in, in fairness. They work pretty well, it's just people don't know how to set them up properly.
Obviously the Weber was never fitted to an AX, so double check it fits the inlet manifold, and don't forget you'll want a heat-plate if it didn't come with it.
Yeah, the autochoke, being a NOS item, would work fine and I could definitely plumb it in. I've read plenty of stories about how they don't do their job, and for the sake of Originaliteh I thought I'd set myself the challenge of doing some form of choke conversion, so the lever in the cabin actually still does something. Incidentally, the car the carb's designed for is a Peugeot 309 1.6. Out of curiousity, what did the manual conversion on yours look like?

Here are some pictures of what I've bought:
Carb Side.jpg
Carb Under.jpg
Carb Label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

2146022383_Screenshot_20211007-1321532.thumb.png.f924d37b9bbf1b19bccc0425a39c03e1.png
Good good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Why haven’t they recharged them or is the diaphragm blown?
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

jamescarruthers wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:22 pm Why haven’t they recharged them or is the diaphragm blown?
Diaphragm has ruptured. It explains why the front nearside became so stiff to move last weekend when I used it. I'm happy knowing it was diagnosed from the get-go and new parts will be fitted.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Great news! Wishing you floaty light joy that only new spheres can bring!
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E