Lucas injector pump

BX Tech talk
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Lucas injector pump

Post by pwykes »

G,day Chaps,

My bx.1.9d has been off the road for a while for extensive maintenance. I had problems getting it started and i have found that there is air in the pipe
that feeds cylinder number 1. Engine as been run with a clear plastic pipe connected to the injector pipe end and it never clears just emits foaming fuel, i dont understand how only 1 port can be affected.

Cam box top pressure valve is working ok and fuel is flowing.

What i did found that there was a fine rust colouring inside the cam box and injectors this was traced back to the fuel gauge sensor which had rusted away in the tank.

Any idea's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Phil.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: Lucas injector pump

Post by white exec »

Sounds like water in the fuel (tank), which has caused rust there.

I'm surprised you could use any sort of plastic piping on one of the injector feed pipes, because the pressure there is so high.
The plastic could 'balloon' microscopically each time the tiny amound of fuel is injected, and could also open up one of its ? hose clips to allow air in.
Using a length of transparent hose on the input side of the pump (or the filter) - to check whether air is reaching the pump - is a good bit of diagnosis, though.

It's important that water doesn't reach either the pump or the injectors, as both will be damaged by it.
The filter (of whichever type you have) should incorporate a water trap and drain point.
Chris
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Hi Chris,

Sorry not made myself clear, the plastic pipe was left open ended and pushed into a diesel can so i could give it a long purge. Tank filter as been cleaned and electric pump and a clear filter installed on the pump end. Took top off cambox there was sticky rust in the top of the box. removed and cleaned metering valve, tried another solenoid with new oil seal and no plunger fitted. It wont have it.
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

Electric pump? Where and why?
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

I have temporary bypassed the original filter assembly to remove it out of the equation, the electric pump is now the primer. once primed the pump is switched off and fuel will freely pass through it once the engine is running.