BX 4x4 Exhaust - Pictures Needed.

Anything about BXs
David
BXpert

BX 4x4 Exhaust - Pictures Needed.

Post by David »

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into getting a custom exhaust made for my BX 4x4, but I need to know where the original mounting points are on the 4x4 cars.

I've been unable to find what I'm looking for on the internet; all I can find is some pictures of some exhausts that have been made, but nothing showing me where they go on the car, so, could anyone on here with an original 4x4 possibly get some pictures of the underneath of their car? It's only the back end that I need; behind the rear axle. I need to know where the exhaust goes, where the spare wheel carrier goes & what the exhaust actually mounts to on the body of the car.

Thanks in advance.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: BX 4x4 Exhaust - Pictures Needed.

Post by panky »

There are some underneath shots in this vid that may be of some use

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks for the video too. I don't remember seeing that one. It's informative, but It doesn't show anything that I need to know unfortunately, It's behind the back axle that I need some pictures of, where the actual mounts are that the exhaust attaches to.

Thanks.

white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

If stuck, give PD Gough Exhausts (Nottingham) a call - they may have made one before. Long history of stainless and mild steel custom and OE-pattern systems.
Hopefully some help here, though.
Chris
David
BXpert

Post by David »

white exec wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:56 pm If stuck, give PD Gough Exhausts (Nottingham) a call - they may have made one before. Long history of stainless and mild steel custom and OE-pattern systems.
Hopefully some help here, though.
Thanks for the suggestion. if I get really stuck, I'll look them up.

I've found a local company that make custom stainless exhausts, but they haven't done one for a BX before, let alone a BX 4x4, so I need as much info as possible to give them. I know that the exhaust mounts aren't on my car; they go somewhere behind the axle, so I'm trying to find out where they're supposed to go so that I'll still be able to use the spare wheel carrier too. They're able to add the mounts at the same time, but I want them in the right place.

They've also not given me an exact price, but they said that it could be around £500 for a complete exhaust. Does this sound reasonable or expensive? My first thought that it's very expensive, BUT, I haven't got anything to compare against as I've only managed to find one local company. That being said, I know that custom parts will always be more expensive.

panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Sorry if this sounds daft but doesn't Haynes show anything? No idea if the 4x4 is mentioned in there.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

panky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:26 pm Sorry if this sounds daft but doesn't Haynes show anything? No idea if the 4x4 is mentioned in there.
You'd have thought so, wouldn't you?

Unfortunately, no. Haynes only covers the early 2wd petrol cars. It does show the mountings, but only on the 2wd axle. It doesn't mention the 4x4 anywhere. I've even got a seperate 4x4 manual, but it's for the Peugeot 405, so it covers the drivetrain, but nothing about the car or exhaust.

There wasn't an exhaust on the car when I originally got the 4x4 parts, but I wish that I'd have taken some pictures of the underside at the time.

white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

£500 for a complete custom-built stainless exhaust is worryingly cheap.
You also need to be careful with the cheaper s/s exhausts, as some of them can be incurably noisy.

Gough is probably the best s/s manufacturer in the UK, and their site contains lots of photos and info.
Usually, they copy an O.E. system (the "pattern"), which entails them buying one of these in (!), but they can also work from scratch. The price they quote will likely be at the top end for a system of quality, but worth knowing when you also look elsewhere. They have a really good reputation.
Chris
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

There's two mounting points showed, I would remember one is somewhere around the propshaft beraing mounting, but it's a lot of time since I last spent time under the 4WD.. This Finnish manual would suggest the rear parts are the same as 19GTi, but I think break is different. Which model you have, break or berline?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Looking at Parts, seems that the 4x4 exhaust systems Citroen list differ from the 4x2 cars, in that the transverse box and tail box are a single part for 4x4, but separate items for the 4x2 cars - and that the 4x4 transverse box is a 'through box', not single ended.
Does look, though, that the flexible hanging arrangements are very similar.
4x4 exhaust BX 1905 Parts listed.JPG
4x4 exhaust BX 1905 petrol.JPG
4x4 exhaust BX 1905 diesel.JPG
On the standard car, the rearmost 6mm hanger rod can part company from the box-section it's welded to, but an alternative hanger can easily be created by running a rod/studding longitudinally/fore-aft above the box. Easily done, and avoids having to re-weld the old hook.
______

Likely that Bosal once did an exhaust system for the 4x4, even if its not currently listed in their online catalogue (other BX exhausts are). Might be worth contacting them to see whether any details/drawings are still available, perhaps from an old catalogue. Bosal were also a Citroen O.E. exhaust provider for many years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

Yes your picture is just like it is under my break(s). Never owned a 4WD berline with original exhaust. And that page from the manual is before any 4WD's existed, it's a training material for service personnel so it not always tells how things were made at the end.
Yeah, found them. Have a look at my 4WD pictures: https://citroenkerho.fi/citikkagalleria ... tegory/534
Don't worry about the text, all the pictures are in English (just click everywhere)!
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Kaapelimies wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:54 pm Yes your picture is just like it is under my break(s). Never owned a 4WD berline with original exhaust. And that page from the manual is before any 4WD's existed, it's a training material for service personnel so it not always tells how things were made at the end.
Yeah, found them. Have a look at my 4WD pictures: https://citroenkerho.fi/citikkagalleria ... tegory/534
Don't worry about the text, all the pictures are in English (just click everywhere)!
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Thanks Kaapelimies for the link, that shows exactly what I needed to know! There are two plates bolted to the back of the tow hooks, which hold the exhaust. It also shows me that the spare wheel carrier is completely different between the 2wd & 4wd cars, so I'll have to either try to find one or somehow make one.

Now that I've seen that, I've actually found that I have one of the said plates in my parts, I just never knew what it was for.

Yes, there is one just to one side of the propshaft bearing, I actually knew about that one, as when I got the 4x4 parts, I actually cut it & the bearing mounting out of the original car.

If you don't mind, could I print out a couple of your pictures to show the exhaust place for reference?

Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

Sure go ahead. Glad I could help.