My BX14 RE- Sold.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by Tim Leech »

Which Monday?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Tim Leech wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:20 pm Which Monday?
Several Mondays ago. The seal never arrived and they want it back to fix the oil leak. They did however fix the suspension and other things. I'll post a cropped summary of work that I received.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

This oil leak is getting annoying. I think there's two issues at play here:
1. I have a suspicion that the cam cover is warped (due to the collapsed baffle spacers which I replaced) as I've now got a leak on the front corner of the engine from the top of the engine. I'll tighten it down a bit and see if it goes away. If it does, then fine. If not, I'll take it off and put it against a flat and straight surface.
2. I suspect the distributor/thermostat housing is leaking, which is a common problem. There's no gasket that's used there, just RTV. The top of the bellhousing and that side of the engine is very wet despite everything else being dry.

I'm not using the car all month and the MoT expires on 31st. I'm also back at college so the earliest I can get back to it is on the first week of February. Provided it passes I'll send it off to Chevronics again to let them get it fixed- I have some welding to get done on my other car.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Don't forget to clean off the oil leaks as that can be an MOT fail. I usually put plenty of RTV on the cam cover seal to stop any oil seepage.
The dizzy seal is an o-ring so that should not be too difficult to fix. Maybe the dimensions are shown in the parts lookup so that one the right size can be sourced.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Jaba wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm Don't forget to clean off the oil leaks as that can be an MOT fail. I usually put plenty of RTV on the cam cover seal to stop any oil seepage.
The dizzy seal is an o-ring so that should not be too difficult to fix. Maybe the dimensions are shown in the parts lookup so that one the right size can be sourced.
Indeed I'll be sure to wash and degrease the engine bay when I get back. It's in dire need as-is. Chevronics did degrease the block and gearbox, which has revealed there's definitely a leak on that side of the engine. There's dripping under the distributor, so I'm fairly sure the O-ring needs replacing, however, the housing around the distributor output and and thermostat housing is also known to leak (sometimes heavily) which may also be a cause. I wouldn't think the distributor seal alone would cause me to lose 1l of oil every 1000 miles or so, especially after an engine rebuild. My gut feeling is that it wasn't put back together very well, but we shall see.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

MoT tomorrow at 4:00. Nervous!
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Re: My BX14 RE- MoT Success!

Post by Fumbler »

And it's passed with a few advisories. No corrosion though!
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Excellent. I'm glad the tin worm hasn't taken hold, sounds like a keeper 8)
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

panky wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm Excellent. I'm glad the tin worm hasn't taken hold, sounds like a keeper 8)
Indeed, no tinworm to speak of apparently- even Rob at Chevronics was surprised.

It's rather annoying that the rack gaiters are already failing. They were fitted this time last year. At least with this pass I can cart it off to Chevronics to fix the oil leak... I might as well get the gaiters fixed by them as well. They might actually know someone that makes a quality rubber part.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

It's been booked into Chevronics again to complete the oil leak diagnosis and repair (because I'm reluctant to service it until I can be sure oil isn't pouring out anywhere), binnacle lighting and fix the MoT advisories. I'm considering getting them to weld up a hole in the front subframe caused by improper jacking up in the past. After all this is done, I can finish cavity waxing and finally undercoat the car with oil. Oh, and give it a good wash, too. Sunroof drains also need looking at.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

This booking into Chevronics turned into a right hassle and cost £240 more than it should have. Oh well. At least I can afford it. Sort of.

Question for today is what size are the door speakers? The 32 year old Clarion units are starting to sound mushy and generally past their best and I'd like to get them replaced.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Annoying, that's garages for ya.. That's quite an expensive oil leak, but not as expensive as ours we just got fleeced of £880 to change the crankshaft oil seal on our volvo v50.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

rutter123 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:09 pm Annoying, that's garages for ya.. That's quite an expensive oil leak, but not as expensive as ours we just got fleeced of £880 to change the crankshaft oil seal on our volvo v50.
It's quite an invoice I can tell you that. I think the oil leak was the cheapest thing on there! The extra £240 was for the blower speed controller + labour because it failed right as I put the key in the ignition to drive it back from them.

Oh, and the speedo broke a mile from home. As they pulled the binnacle to replace the lamps either it's fallen out or snapped completely. At least they're happy to supply the parts for free.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Yeah that top part of the speedo cable is notorious for breakage on rhd cars, usually starts with a clicking and the needle flicking, I think Chevronics are the only stockist of that top part.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

rutter123 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:59 pm Yeah that top part of the speedo cable is notorious for breakage on rhd cars, usually starts with a clicking and the needle flicking, I think Chevronics are the only stockist of that top part.
I'm thinking it could be that. The needle liked to boince around (as they all do) but after they had a fiddle it was wildly bouncing around and then I heard a snapping noise when I rounded a bend. I initially thought it was the (nonexistent) self-cancelling indicators.