Changing timing belt on a TZD

BX Tech talk
joolie
BXpert

Changing timing belt on a TZD

Post by joolie »

Is it REALLY possible to change the timing belt on a TZD WITH THE ENGINE STILL IN THE CAR; Im having some real difficulty here, locating the locking hole in the flywheel, the starter motor really doesent want to move, and I dont want to start moving and disconnecting all over.

It would be real good to know, step by step. . .

J
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
Bluey1978
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bluey1978 »

I have always taken the easy option out and paid for my local grease monkey to do this job as I have wrestled with the protective cover on more than one occasion and locating those stud holes can be a bit of a pain.

It must be one of those jobs where the more you do it the easier it becomes as my local garage only charges an hours labour for it.

They are a local garage who do most things on my Cit as long as it doesn't involve the suspension system. :wink:

This is the 1.9 turbo and non-turbo diesel engine (My previous Xantia and my Bx RD, though have attempted it before on the diesel 405's I've had, same engine,turbo 1.9)
Previous owner of a 1988 BX19 RD & Previous BX Meteor & Xantia Owner.
1995 Toyota Estima Lucida X Diesel
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Changing timing belt on a TZD

Post by DavidRutherford »

joolie wrote:Is it REALLY possible to change the timing belt on a TZD WITH THE ENGINE STILL IN THE CAR;
Yep, and actually, of all the transverse XUD installations, the BX is probably one of the easier ones.

Locating the flywheel locking hole is a bit of a pain if you don't have a special tool. It's either a case of removing the starter (3 socket-head bolts & wiring) or having an 8mm peg with a handle on it, bent perfectly to go around the back of the starter. Even though I have a special tool that I made years ago to do exactly that, I still find it easier to have the starter off.

Then you have the 3 M8 x 50/60mm bolts in the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys, and the joy locking the spring-loaded tensioner in it's non-tensioning position. (there's a special tool for that too, Jon has a photo of it somewhere)

Granted, it's a whole load easier with the engine on the bench, but having now done 3 or 4 cambelts on XUD7TE engines in BX (DTR turbo and TZD turbo) I can now do a belt and water pump in about 1.5-2 hours. First time out it might take 4 hours (being realistic)
this might be a signature
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Yes, it is possible, this amateur inexperienced mechanic has done it.

Definitely, definitely remove the starter for this job. It only takes 5 minutes and will save you hours of swearing, skinned knuckles and frustration. It's not difficult to remove.

The Haynes shows a tool made out of an M8 bolt with a bit of welding rod forming a handle long enough to access the flywheel hole. You could probably use a bent wire coat hanger too, so long as you can get it tight enough around the bolt.

Takes about 4 hours for a first time, unless of course you can't remember whether you've tightened up the water-pump and have to take it all apart again :oops:
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

At least the BX hasn't got the bolt on covers the later cars have, where there's a bolt you can't see, and can only just reach. Oh, and for good measure it's a different size to all the others :twisted: Makes the first one 'fun' 8)

I've got a long piece of 8mm bar with the end chamfered and about 6" bent up at about 20°. Slide this in behind the starter with the bent part on the block, right between the body and solenoid and it slides straight into the timing hole. You can tell you're in as when the rod hits the flywheel it makes a very distinctive ringing sound. The advantage of this set up is that you can stand by the drivers wheel turning the engine over whilst pushing the rod in - I usually get it first time now, lean on the rod with right hand, turn wheel with left, and it drops right in.
I NEED a BX TD.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I used a 8mm drill, it was a bit fiddly to reach behind the starter but possible. My biggest problem was the crankshaft pulley bolt which took 2 of us with a 6 foot scaffold pole to loosen!