My BX14 RE- Sold.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: My BX14 RE- MoT Success!

Post by rutter123 »

Prob something to do with it being the longer cable for rhd and the routing to get to the gearbox, not a great design.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

PXL_20220221_200615870.jpg
Heh, that was easy to find! I'll get the replacement posted tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Yep, that's where they all go, I did try to repair a collar with little success as they just weren't available from anywhere at the time.
The kink causes the inner wound wires to eventually wear through hence the ticking you get before it finally gives in.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

rutter123 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:34 pm Yep, that's where they all go, I did try to repair a collar with little success as they just weren't available from anywhere at the time.
The kink causes the inner wound wires to eventually wear through hence the ticking you get before it finally gives in.
Thank goodness for new parts! There'd be no fixing this as the knot in the wire is so huge.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

On LHD (a shorter, but still lengthy cable) the instrument pod can only be pulled forward a short distance with the speedo cable still fully attached to the instrument, making it difficult to pull the white plastic locking collar back, and release.

If the intermediate coupling joint between the upper and lower cables is unscrewed first (engine bay, near the battery), the instrument pod pulls away decently clear, so the release collar can both be seen and released.
Chris
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Glad you got it sorted :)
1991 Citroen BX 16v
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Reminds me I must get mine sorted: getting tired of having to rely on phone in screen mount as a speedo. Had to replace the binnacle a while back - cracked and held together with tape. Have pulled out many a binnacle before and similarly separated/replaced many an upper cable from the speedo, but made a meal of the process this time.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

The speedometer upper cable was replaced- not the first time it's been done on this car as the broken one I pulled out was made by VDO. I refitted it with moderate success, took it for a test drive and there was a rubbing noise. I disconnected the speedometer and there was still some rubbinb. I was advised to reseat the cable join in the engine bay, so I did that and it went together more smoothly, but the test drive now showed the speedometer wasn't working at all. I separated the cables yet again, twisted the top half with a screwdriver and saw the needle was moving like it should, so now I'm suspecting the bottom cable is now bust.

Should I disconnect the bottom cable from the gearbox and test that or is it fairly likely that the fitting and adjustment of the top cable has broken it?
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by Fumbler »

Going to jack up the front of the BX tomorrow so I can have the front wheels spinning while I'm looking at the bottom speedometer cable. Hopefully that'll show the issue.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

It could well be the speedo drive pinion at the gearbox end they're nylon and do wear and easily stripped of their teeth if the cable snags, fairly easy to get to.
One simple job turns into three, four....... that's the norm with bx ownership.
They are still still available.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Indeed they still are, although I do have the suspicion the end which mates with the top cable has worn away and is slipping inside the top cable's socket.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

It appears the bottom cable is also aftermarket. My reasoning behind this is that there was more top cable on show in the engine bay when the old one was still installed, meaning the bottom cable could be shorter and not bend as harshly. With the new cable, I have to bend it quite a bit for it to mesh up nicely with the new cable, and this harsh bend is why the speedometer wouldn't work properly. I shoved a load of the new cable back through the bulkhea, therefore reducing the bend, and the speedometer now works- sort of. The issue now is that there's a horrible grinding noise up until 20MPH and after that it goes quiet. Obviously this isn't great so I'll consult Chevronics tomorrow as they asked me to ring back. It may mean the bottom cable also requires replacement.
On this subject, the top cable routing is absolutely abysmal, especially the sharp bend where it enters the cabin because the glovebox is in the way. I'm tempted to, at some point, reroute the cable so that it enters the cabin on the offside, grearly reducing the sharp bends it encounters.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Ahhhh finally, the speedometer is working perfectly. It turns out that the VDO cable set has the top cable longer and the bottom cable shorter than the Lecoy (OEM) cables. You basically can't interchange cables without horribleness. I replaced the bottom cable with the free replacement from Chevronics and all is well for a change. Makes me happy. The old cable was proper stiff to turn as well.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

I did an oil change on the car on Saturday. It was around 2000 miles premature but I have been fighting an oil leak and, when I originally bought the car, it had some proper old oil which was still lingering after an oil change. At least, this time around, you could see light through the oil draining as opposed to last year.

On Sunday, I pressed it back into service by driving it 180 miles to college. So far, no oil has left the engine, which is promising.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

PXL_20220407_123748884.jpg
PXL_20220407_123739053.jpg
Reg sphere/regulator return is leaking. I'll wash it down with brake solvent to narrow down what's losing LHM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.