Wanted- Sunroof Seal

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Wanted- Sunroof Seal

Post by Fumbler »

My BX's seal isn't really doing its job anymore. Would anybody happen to know anyone who still makes them or something similar?
It's not an urgent need but it's definitely letting more moisture in than it did when I bought it.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: Wanted- Sunroof Seal

Post by RobC »

If it’s a factory sunroof then it’s not meant to seal 100% anyway- that’s what the drain tubes in the headlining are for. Though I recognise that the seals do deteriorate and can look unsightly.
If it’s an aftermarket sunroof then ignore me.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

Vaseline is a good one for old seals. Or this German stuff called Gummi Pfledge (or similar-ish Deutsch spelling)
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

jamescarruthers wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:36 pm Vaseline is a good one for old seals. Or this German stuff called Gummi Pfledge (or similar-ish Deutsch spelling)
We have Gummi Pfledgestift but the issue is that the seal is felted rubber. I'll try the Vaseline trick on a part that's not usually looked at.
My hypothesis is that the seal has basically set into the shape it's in while the sunroof was closed- after all, the car was stood for nearly 2 decades.
RobC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:45 pm If it’s a factory sunroof then it’s not meant to seal 100% anyway- that’s what the drain tubes in the headlining are for. Though I recognise that the seals do deteriorate and can look unsightly.
If it’s an aftermarket sunroof then ignore me.
It's draining fine (from what I can tell), just more condensation is occuring. I could narrow down the cause by closing the outside air damper and removing the broken spare wheel well bolt and temporarily blocking the hole.
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

I’d also check that all the vapour seals behind the door cards are intact, and that door and window seals are working as they should
1991 Citroen BX 16v
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Could it be that the condensation is because stuff is drying out in this warm weather or is there other signs of water leaks.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

panky wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:37 pm Could it be that the condensation is because stuff is drying out in this warm weather or is there other signs of water leaks.
No signs of water ingress at all. I should note that the issue was brought to my attention late last month. My dad very kindly stuck a dessicator on the rear parcel shelf which drew the moisture out. All it was really was heavy, heavy condensation on the rear window. Nothing I've ever seen before but something I was told to look out for by owners of old cars with sunroofs.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Treated all the seals on the car with Gummipfledgestift which should help preserve them for a little wile. Will be curious to see if it un-crushes the felt sunroof seal.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Fumbler wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:15 pm
panky wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:37 pm Could it be that the condensation is because stuff is drying out in this warm weather or is there other signs of water leaks.
No signs of water ingress at all. I should note that the issue was brought to my attention late last month. My dad very kindly stuck a dessicator on the rear parcel shelf which drew the moisture out. All it was really was heavy, heavy condensation on the rear window. Nothing I've ever seen before but something I was told to look out for by owners of old cars with sunroofs.
Are you sure that there is no moisture getting into the boot somewhere as this will give the same symptoms.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Fumbler - Is your sunroof a manual aftertermarket pop-up one? Can't recall any standard BX electric tilt and slide sunroofs being fitted to BX14s - even the later (last) TGE variant which was about as upmarket as they got (not very).
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Jaba wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:23 pm
Fumbler wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:15 pm
Are you sure that there is no moisture getting into the boot somewhere as this will give the same symptoms.
I lifted the rear seat and found the fuel tank inlet/outlet cover in the floor was only partially covering the hole which was probably causing my issue. Chevronics had replaced the return hardline last December before the car was laid up for the winter.
DLM wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:11 pm Fumbler - Is your sunroof a manual aftertermarket pop-up one? Can't recall any standard BX electric tilt and slide sunroofs being fitted to BX14s - even the later (last) TGE variant which was about as upmarket as they got (not very).
It's a genuine Citroen electric sunroof, a paid-for option along with the electric front windows. I bought it from arlever on this forum who told me that it was a considerable rarity for such a low spec car to have these additions.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

"It's a genuine Citroen electric sunroof, a paid-for option along with the electric front windows. I bought it from arlever on this forum who told me that it was a considerable rarity for such a low spec car to have these additions."

A rarity indeed! I guess it might even have a pair of B-Pillar interior lights and not blanking plates in that case, then.
Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

DLM wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:31 pm "It's a genuine Citroen electric sunroof, a paid-for option along with the electric front windows. I bought it from arlever on this forum who told me that it was a considerable rarity for such a low spec car to have these additions."

A rarity indeed! I guess it might even have a pair of B-Pillar interior lights and not blanking plates in that case, then.
Yep, got those too. I've looked around and seen some REs not having rear headrests, either, which mine has.
It's been suggested that it was originally a sales rep car whereby they were limited to a sub-1.6 engine, so they filled out the budget by adding trim options.