Leaking Pressure Regulator - Advice Required

BX Tech talk
David
BXpert

Leaking Pressure Regulator - Advice Required

Post by David »

Hi all, as the title states, I'd like a bit of advice on a leaking pressure regulator.

I've noticed a puddle under the car over the past few weeks. Initially I thought that might've been from a previous leak, but I got under the car today, and it turns out that it's leaking out of the passenger side of the pressure regulator between the regulator itself and the mounting bracket to the gearbox. It looks like a bad leak.

So, how do I fix it?

Is there some kind of removable cap that'll be leaking? If so, what will it need to fix it, will standard o-rings suffice?

It's definitely the regulator itself, as it's only wet on that side and underneath, where it's running on the floor. All the pipes are dry, and I looked on top with a mirror, just to be sure. I've had a quick search on the forum, but I can't find any mention of dismantling a pressure regulator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Leaking Pressure Regulator - Advice Required

Post by rutter123 »

Are you sure it's the regulator leaking and not one the pipes or pipe seals? My advice is to give it all a pressure wash and pinpoint the leak first.
Pleaides in Sawtry can most likely supply you with a recon unit or rebuild yours.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Is it not that plastic return spigot? That's normally what cracks.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

This may be a red herring, but I'll throw it in the mix anyway,

I see both of the cars listed in your profile are later cars. I had a return-side pressure-regulator leak after a new clutch was fitted by someone familiar with hydraulic Citroens of a number of generations. They did a bespoke repair (the car is a 92 TXD). Enquiring with a normally reliable source in search of the replacement part, I was told the return assembly changed late in BX production - for cars like mine.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

It sounds like the leak is from the LH end of the PR. If so this will be the end cap o-ring seal failing. They all do eventually unless you are very lucky. It can be changed with the PR off the car by compressing the end cap inwards to access the o-ring. Not done it myself but I have seen seen on the web recently the detail sequence by someone doing the repair.
Easiest thing to do is to just fit another used PR and repair yours at your leisure.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Hi all, I've just realised that I didn't update this. In the end, I removed the pressure regulator & sent it of to pleiades & they replaced all of the seals in it. Since then I've had no further problems with it. If you're struggling with your own, I recommend them!
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).