Removing a BX16v alternator

BX Tech talk
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Removing a BX16v alternator

Post by szhrr5cc »

Hello All, working on our 16v to remove the alternator as it very noisy and either needs replacing or rebuilding. We have freed it off apart from one electrical connector which we are having great difficulty in removing as there looks to be a ring connector held between two nuts which looks as though we need two spanners to remove i.e. with one held in place and the other turned. However, the bottom of these is obscured by some sort of red coloured ring which prevents a spanner being inserted.

This is pictured and is at the top of the arrow in the picture.

Anyone know what this dark coloured ring is for? We are thinking of simply cutting the wire so we can get the alternator out and then deal with this thing once it is off the car.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks
Attachments
20220405_143615.jpg
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Re: Removing a BX16v alternator

Post by Kaapelimies »

Don't break it, get a slimmer open end spanner, with help of an angle grinder for example. That black plastic ring is an insulator, as the bolt is "hot", directly in battery plus without a fuse.
Last edited by Kaapelimies on Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Re: Removing a BX16v alternator

Post by szhrr5cc »

thanks, will give that a try, well worth knowing!