SAAB 96 Sport
Amphicar 770
Chevrolet Corvair Corsa Turbo Sport Coupe
Chevrolet Corvair Rampside
Chevroletr Corvair Monza Convertible

Replacing the BE3 gearbox

Post by rhysaccess »

Howdy all,

With the planet gears breaking through the gearbox bell housing - the original BE3 CJ47 gearbox is to be replaced.

I have a 20TE47 unit (I think out of a Xsara?), The clutch actuation mechanism is quite different.

Does anyone have experience with swapping these? Is it a sensible replacement?

Thanks & regards,
Rhys

David
BXpert

Re: Replacing the BE3 gearbox

Post by David »

I don't see why it shouldn't go in, but you'll have to check that the clutch and drive shafts will physically fit into the new gearbox first. The clutch mechanism on the new gearbox looks the same as the ones fitted to the TD and GTi BX's anyway, so all you'll need to do there is replace the clutch cable. The they're a better design anyway as the clutch pedals are lighter and the mechanism is less likely to break. Also, make sure that you check the speedo drive cog is compatible with the BX speedo cable, otherwise you'll need to swap that from the old gearbox too, although it's not a hard job.

The only problem that you might have is the gear ratios in the new box. Just let us know how you get on and what the gears are like as some of the gearboxes in the BX are too low geared in the first place.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rhysaccess
My Cars: Citroen BX TZI Estate
Citroen SM
Citroen C5X7 3.0 Touring
Citroen 2CV
Citroen DS21
Panhard 24CT
SAAB 96 Sport
Amphicar 770

Post by rhysaccess »

Thanks for your feedback David.

Some of the differences are pretty obvious (clutch, speedo drive) and some are not. I'll double check all aspects of the driveshafts & clutch compactivity.

I’m curious as to what subtle difference might present itself later, after putting the combined drivetrain back in. Will the new clutch mechanism foul some unforeseen body or mechanical extrusion?

If it’s really just a new clutch cable, that’s....great. Is it a Xsara clutch cable that fits the BX pedal assembly and 20TE47 gearbox?

The ratios are a bit different, some reckon its an improvement. I presume I can swap some cogs over from the original box – but happy to take advantage of improved higher gearing or better spacing, if that has been the experience of others.

Any further advice would be appreciated before I re-fill my finger nails with grease.

Cheers,
Rhys
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The 20TE47 refers to the spec and ratios, so really you need to find out what gear set that comes with to see if it's suitable.

There's a Suzuki site which lists MA box specs, but not sure about BE.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
David
BXpert

Post by David »

rhysaccess wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:14 am Thanks for your feedback David.

Some of the differences are pretty obvious (clutch, speedo drive) and some are not. I'll double check all aspects of the driveshafts & clutch compactivity.

I’m curious as to what subtle difference might present itself later, after putting the combined drivetrain back in. Will the new clutch mechanism foul some unforeseen body or mechanical extrusion?

If it’s really just a new clutch cable, that’s....great. Is it a Xsara clutch cable that fits the BX pedal assembly and 20TE47 gearbox?

The ratios are a bit different, some reckon its an improvement. I presume I can swap some cogs over from the original box – but happy to take advantage of improved higher gearing or better spacing, if that has been the experience of others.

Any further advice would be appreciated before I re-fill my finger nails with grease.

Cheers,
Rhys
You'll just need a clutch cable from a TD or GTi BX, I believe that the Xsara cable is different. I might be wrong, but I'm sure that the peddle assembly is completely different, so they won't fit.

Beyond the different gear ratios, there shouldn't be any problems. The clutch mechanism is the same as the TD and GTi cars, so there should be no problem there either, just remember that you'll probably need the later type of clutch release bearing too to fit the arm. I changed to the later type clutch mechanism on my car, and there were only improvements to it, no problems arose from changing it.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rhysaccess
Citroen SM
Citroen C5X7 3.0 Touring
Citroen 2CV
Citroen DS21
Panhard 24CT
SAAB 96 Sport
Amphicar 770

Post by rhysaccess »

Thanks David - it helps enormously.

I had suspicions about the different pedal assembly...but hadn't had the opportunity to investigate.

Hadn't considered the different thrust bearing, but it too makes sense.

All the advance planning helps a quick outcome, as the supply of (potentially wrong) parts from overseas, will unnecessarily delay the project.

Thanks & regards,
Rhys
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

You will also need a U shaped clip to secure the clutch cable to the box with the new cable type.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rhysaccess
Citroen SM
Citroen C5X7 3.0 Touring
Citroen 2CV
Citroen DS21
Panhard 24CT
SAAB 96 Sport
Amphicar 770

Post by rhysaccess »

Based on the (excellent) feedback here - I’ve ordered the appropriate bits, and I await the (hopefully correct) parts to arrive at my door.

International deliveries have slowed down in recent years…..so I just have to find other tasks to undertake while I play the waiting game.

I have been offered a gratis BX Diesel wagon wreck for gratis, so I’ll probably collect and wreck it in the mean time for a supply of some future parts.

Regards,
Rhys