Using a 405 Electric Mirror To Make a BX Electric Mirror?

BX Tech talk
krekov
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1989 Citroen BX GTI 16v

Using a 405 Electric Mirror To Make a BX Electric Mirror?

Post by krekov »

Hello,
I've been wondering if it's possible to convert a manual BX mirror into an electric one using the guts of a Pug 405 mirror, the mk 1.
Anyone know if that can be done? I'd like to know before I waste money on a 405 mirror :)
David
BXpert

Re: Using a 405 Electric Mirror To Make a BX Electric Mirror?

Post by David »

I'm not sure. From what I can gather, the MK1 & MK2 BX mirrors are completely different, and the electric and manual mirrors are completely different again, although I've never seen a MK1 BX electric mirror myself, so I don't know what's inside one.

From what I can gather, although I might be wrong, the 405 uses the same mirrors as the MK2 BX, so perhaps some of the parts might be useable, but maybe only for a MK2?

If the mirror looks physically the same, then maybe it'll be useable, but if it's different, you might have to go back to the drawing board.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
krekov
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1989 Citroen BX GTI 16v

Re: Using a 405 Electric Mirror To Make a BX Electric Mirror?

Post by krekov »

Welp, it took a while but I've reached a conclusion: the electric mirror mechanism for the passenger side (on LHD cars) is exactly the same as the driver side mech. More than that, the electric mechanism can be very easily fitted to a manual BX Mk2 mirror, as the inner casting has screw holes for it.

So, it's possible to make the coveted driver side (LHD) electric mirror in about 20 minutes, if you have a manual driver side unit and a spare passenger side electric unit (which are easily obtainable).