Gasket material

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Gasket material

Post by Kitch »

Basically I need to fabricate an inlet manifold gasket (not for BX). Its for the AX GT and the gaskets don't come in the head set. I'm having trouble finding them seperately or any gasket paper. So I'm toying with making some.....anyone know the best card to use? Should I cake it in WD40 first or something? :lol:

Cheers
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The inlet manifold never gets hot beyond the engine temp. You can use almost anything applicable for mechanical sealing - f.i. a liquid gasket seal. Even bathtub silicone sealants will do as they are suitable to 140+ degC.

Have you tried GSF or any local carshop ? Gasket paper used to be one of the basic materials you could purchase - off a roll. The cylinder head gasket sets I stock is the kind where all gaskets are punched out of the same sheet - and still is one sheet. Hence a lot of surplus gasket paper is there for free - to make any gasket you want.

WD40 is NOT suitable. It will clean out rust and old grease perfectly - and then evapourate. WD40 is a problem solver - NOT a lubricant.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ah right ok thanks. My current problem is that the inlet manifold in the AX GT is water cooled, and its leaking into the inlet port through the manifold. I used blue sealant last time, but probably not done it right. Plus a stud has snapped :lol:

I've got osme decent card here, I'll probably **** some out of that and keep fingers crossed! Thanks!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Is there acutually meant to be a gasket there. i haven't looked on PR net but it may be worth doung so - as from 70's manufacturers haven't always used manifold gaskets.

Blue sealer sounds like Hylomar which may be good for something but isn't a silicone one. Silicone were originally something like orange and I think I have a bronze coloured one I was recommended for use on a Mini timing cover and leaked nicely.

If the thing is meant to work dry then it must have an even pull and any broken studs are certain to cause failure. The same will apply if its meant to have a silicone sealer.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

could alwyas use instant gasket on it matey!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk