Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Too heavy though and sooooo common :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Breaking news from my household where I totally disagree with you! At least you can open a BX from any door without the lock disintegrating in front of you!
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

got to say i like to knwo that im still ont he road if im driving, something the overly refined Xantia just doesn't allow! I'd also like to go round corners and know the back end is going before its gone, at least the BX rear skips a little the Xantia just turns you round!

All this bar the Activa, still too heavy and still too refined but still fun!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Well Bernie, they are different at any rate. "Better" of course is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Come on though Bernie, a lot of Xantias have aircon already in them, so they can't provide hours/days/weeks/months/years/aeons of purposeful aftermarket amusement on that score.....

A heavier car with more spheres and more new electrical faults built-in? A torquier but significantly heaver engine driving the extra "passive safety" around it? Estate rear Hatch materials carried over from the BX? A shape more like a close relation to an Audi than a Citroen?

2.1Td engines and HDi make a difference on the grunt front (though my God, isn't it expensive to replace HDi injectors - you could easily have several BXs for the price of a set). You're welcome to one.
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

Since I've been lucky to own both at the same time my conclusions are.

The BX is the more drivers car, sharper and tighter handling and a more responsive sports car like drive after stepping out of my Xantia.

The Xantia, on the other hand, is a more stylish and relaxed sort of tourer. It eats up the miles in quiet and grace.

To sum up if you have a headache and a long journey, take the mellow Xantia but if your itching for noisey excitement go BX
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I knew that he'd cause trouble. Riff raff filter should have been set to Xantia and we could have avoided this.

With the cost of Diesel, the BX currently wins hands down. Since fiddling with mine, I'm getting 55 MPG at reasonable speeds. Can the Xantia do that?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

My BX is now 20 years old. How many Xantias will make it this far?
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Most of the ones I used to drive round the auctions were looked on as a one off if they made it more than 20 yards never mind 20 years!
Vauxhall apologist.
bernie

Post by bernie »

tom wrote:I knew that he'd cause trouble. Riff raff filter should have been set to Xantia and we could have avoided this.

With the cost of Diesel, the BX currently wins hands down. Since fiddling with mine, I'm getting 55 MPG at reasonable speeds. Can the Xantia do that?

135mpg plus :)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

135mpg plus :)[/quote]

Bloody hell, you must get some strong winds up your way :lol:

(I`d also like to point out here that despite the nature of my posts I`m NOT anti-Xantia, I`m just more fond of the Bx so don`t take it the wrong way!)
Vauxhall apologist.
bernie

Post by bernie »

cavmad wrote:135mpg plus :)

Bloody hell, you must get some strong winds up your way :lol:

(I`d also like to point out here that despite the nature of my posts I`m NOT anti-Xantia, I`m just more fond of the Bx so don`t take it the wrong way!)[/quote]

I blame the curry :lol:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I must confess to quite liking the Xantas, however two weeks ago when i found myself to be the owner of both a BX and a Xantia I plumped for the BX and gave the Xantia to my Dad, hows that for faith :P
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
M

Post by M »

I have a Xantia, have owned a BX (briefly) and also own a ZX.

I have a grumbling hip and knee from an old motorcycle accident and the recent drive to Somerset in the Xantia didnt half set it off. The seat wont push far enough back for me to extend my knee joint. Yet oddly both the BX and the ZX do.

I like my Xantia, would like to keep it on the road for as long as possible, know that its likely to be high maintainance due to the HDi fuel system and electronics, yet it is a blinding tow car and up till recently I did find it comfortable - actually it still is, I could just do with moving the seat runners further back, but suspect it may have something to do with the airbag in the seats as to why its where it is. The car also uses less GPS complnents than the BX, which makes it a bit more lardy.

Its ok, on the whole I like it but its not a BX, its not better, just diferent. In the same way a good curry isnt better than sex, its spicy and hot but different.
bernie

Post by bernie »

Well I like both in different ways, so I went out today and bought another BX.