Radiator cleanin'

BX Tech talk
joolie
BXpert

Radiator cleanin'

Post by joolie »

While I'm overhaulin the engine, I thought Id take the time to clean out the radiator, (reading some posts on this forum has got me worried).

When I drained it, the coolant was green, and seemed a tiny bit oily (left a nice patch on the ground). There was lots of yellowy cake on the head gasket, and some of the coolant pipes.

Does that tell you anything about the condition of the core??

I want to flush the radiator (out of the car), so whats the best way?

(its a Valeo)
'91 BX MkII 1769cc Turbo TZD Break

running on RME/SVO

IF it aInt BrOKe dON't trY 'n FIx iT.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

To flush it blast clean water through it from both ends until it runs clear.

Have a good look at the core through the pipe holes if you can, and try and judge if the flow is good especially with it standing up the right way - ie if it only trickles till its nearly full the bottom tubes are blocked!

Dont let it dry out - and if it does fill it with soapy water some time before flushing to soften up the dirt
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

ok, thanks for that, what about when I get the engine back together again, theres loads of crap in the pipes.

I heard someone mention running on vinager and water for a few hundred miles. Is that a good idea?

What mix do you use as coolant?

running on RME/SVO

ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

joolie wrote: I heard someone mention running on vinager and water for a few hundred miles. Is that a good idea?

What mix do you use as coolant?
I was given the same advice a couple of years ago to loosen up the infamous heater tap, I think it helped but don't be clever and add too much vinegar or you have a geyser under your bonnet when the engine warms up :shock: . How do I know :? ........ :lol:

I too would like to know the CORRECT proportions please anyone :roll: :roll:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I haven't used vinegar but have successfully used a (very) weak solution of hydrochloric acid to dissolve blockages. I got the bottom third of a rad back like this, (before a jubilee clip knocked a hole in it, but that's another story).

Vinegar should work too, as it is acid. It will become more reactive as it heats up, so probably a technique to be very gentle with.

As far as coolant mix goes - use the proportions on the bottle, depending on your climate. You're in Sweden, aren't you?
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

Yep Sweden, bloody cold, snow till april, minus 14c easily at the end Dec/Jan.

Its in a heated garage most of the time, but last year I went to Uppsala for a few days, left it outside in minus 12, full of biodiesel.

Fuel gelled solid, and the battery was on its last legs. Got it going again by heating up a cloth bag of wheat grain in the microwave and sticking it on the fuel filter and injector.

Didnt even consider the coolant that was in the engine at the time, luckly enough it sufficed!

running on RME/SVO

Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Minus 14? Pah, that's nothing. In Russia I stopped running when the breath was freezing in my nostrils - minus 25!

Nice fix for the gelled fuel though. Athletes use the same thing to apply heat to injuries.
joolie
BXpert

Post by joolie »

ok radiator is clean, not so much dirty water came out, and the flow seemed to be the same coming out as what I put in.

I take it thats a good sign, dispite the car bieng 140k.

a few of those very soft folds got damaged slightly, but as long as theres air flow it ill be ok, right?

running on RME/SVO

Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

The rad will be ok with one or two vanes damaged. Have you checked the throughflow by filling it with a couple of litres of boiling water? If you have any cold spots, you've still got blockages.

O