Lack Of Courtesy!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Lack Of Courtesy!

Post by tim leech »

Guys the courtesy lights dont work on the GTi I bought from Cavmad, they do when I turn them on manually but not when I open ANY of the doors, yet the door open display works fine!

Any ideas?

:shock:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Mines like that, I blame a previous alarm installation.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

It had a moss alarm on it at one time, the 16v is the same and that had one too once! Any cure?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Probably a new alarm :cry: My remote locking is the same on the BX, it seems the alarm fitter hacked in all over the place, I have removed a lot of it, thankfully I can find my way around my BX in the dark :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Think I will buy a torch!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Tim -

The door open warning lights panel -
&
the courtesy light door switches circuit -

Has NOTHING to do with each other. Not even the same earth point or fuse :wink:

All BX'es fitted with PLIP remotes have the courtesy lights timer feature. This is a relay look-a-like device. The timer takes the door switches inputs for activation - and of course a control signal from the PLIP.
It has a relay switched earth output resembling a door switch is activated.

From Scandinavian owners the experience is that the relay itself has a habit of developing breaks in the solder joints holding plug contact pins. Simply solved with a soldering iron.

Now where is this relay located ?
On LHD cars the relay is located way up behind the glovebox - which would be somewhere up behind the instrument clusters towards the drivers door on a RHD.
If you find such a relay looking device with a brown 7pole connector - you've got it.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

As Anders says the courtesy lights and the door open lights are entirely separate circuits.

The courtesy lights rely on earthing through the switches in the door shut faces. These switches cost £1.50 from places like GSF and you may be able to clean those on the car.

Open a door, take a switch out (1 screw) and earth it and see if the light comes on. The lights may even come on if you fiddle with the switch itself while its still on the car.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Guys! Will have a looky.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Being a GTi - as Anders says the lights will be powered by a delay unit.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Strange that they dont work from and of the doors, yet the 16v ones work on the back doors only :shock:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

They still earth through the door switches - that's the ones in the door shut face - and at about 12 years the switches corrode badly.