Door membrane

Anything about BXs
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Door membrane

Post by ed4ferrets »

I always thought the membrane was only a sort of dust keeper outer until I experienced a door without said membrane!

When turning the key in the lock, opening or closing the door there is 'orrible tinny hollow sound which really pees me off :twisted:

Am I right in assuming the lack of membrane is to blame for this and that a makeshift membrane will cure all [-o< ----^ :-k ?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Wouldn't have thought so, but possible. Mine doesn't have any and has no problems here.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The membrane is there to stop draughts and water and muck ingress into the car the easiest thing to use to replace them is the heavy duty bin bag not the rustly type but the vertually unripable type once the door trim is removed you will be able to see the shape and size it needs to be you then stick this on with 2" wide maskingtape did this on my old bx as the draught from the drivers door was like being in a wind tunnel.
If you want to deaden the noises in the door have a wonder round the scrappers for some 1" thick sound proofing cut it to a suitable size and use spray adhesive to stick it to the inside of the door skin.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I'd counsel against the use of any old sound proofing. Use a closed cell foam to avoid condensation and the inevitable water ingress through the window seal from soaking into it if you cannot get bituminised deadening sheets. An alternative would be to use vinyl floor tiles and Evil Stink to fix them.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I agree Tom sorry forgot to mention that bit of advice or you could end up with a soping wet bit of sponge glued to your door. :oops: :oops:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I entirely agree with Sleepy. One of the other purposes of the membrane is to keep the liner card itself dry which helps stop it curl.

My BX has membranes made from some very light plastic foam - like (NOT foam) material which is also used in the packaging industry (I've seen it used to separate rolls of aluminium foil used for wrapping cakes) It isalso very similar to some insulation product sold by builders merchants.

I went to a bit of trouble to get something like the original as I wondered if a plactic bag might sweat and damage the card.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Ta muchly for all the knowledge lads :wink:

It's obvious to me the door is a replacement from an older car with same paint code, it polishes up to match the rest. I will replace the card as it hangs loose at the bottom (no clips) and remedy the echo etc while I'm at it :)
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle