Hanging in there with the BX... more advice needed please

BX Tech talk
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Hanging in there with the BX... more advice needed please

Post by timbo »

I'm still with the BX (with all the problems). Am getting the ZX as a runaround though. Have been tinkering with minor things while another mechanic gives a second opinion and quote for repairs. The fuel lines and steering are being repaired next Monday. I have pulled off the heater fan and have seen that the main control flap is fine and opens and closes manually by just pushing the flap. However, the dial on the dash only works for closing the flap and will not open it. Any thoughts ?? I am in the frame of mind to simply cut the control cable and if I want to stop the flow of air then just shut each vent in turn.
:?
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi,

Check that both the clips that hold the outer cable are in secure and in place.

They do have a habit of flying off when poking around the area, and sometimes you can't find them..

Good Luck
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

all I can see is the two cables under the dashboard. One increses the fan speed and if I pull gentley it increases/decreases the fan no problems. If I gentley pull the other cable (flap control), it closes the flap without a problem, but if I try and open it, it just doesn't do a thing. I think there must be a problem with the actuating arm/sprocket that one of the forum people was kind enough to show me.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

No, the cable does not increase the fan speed. I think that the cable controls the flap for the incoming air!
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

oops ... yep that's right. But the dial controls the flap... that's what I meant... when I pull the cable the fan control knob turns and that in turn alters the fan speed. The knob will only go so far. It shuts the flap OK but will not open it.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Timbo you have a personal message waiting.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

In which case, the clip has come off one end, probably that of the control box at the fascia. 'Tis a right bugger to do first time and you'll need plasters, I'll bet but all you have to do is remove the four screws around it and you will have just enough room to put it right. You'll need to find the clip, of course but once the radio, cash box and ashtray are removed, It'll be in there somewhere.
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

so it's literally:
take off ashtray
remove temp, fan, direction control panel and then i can get to the cable?
:?
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Yes.
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

Yep Tom you were quite right. The cable "outer" had come out of the clip. Tried for like 3 hours and in the end, I dissconnected the cable altogether and now have in under the floormat. My temperature had gone well over boiling point at that stage never mind the weather 8)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Timbo check your profile and make sure the one that says "Notify on new Private Message" is set to yes as i have tried to send you 6 private messages that you never seem to receive there is one still currently waiting for you to receive.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp