LHM Fluid Everywhere!

BX Tech talk
KeithTaylor

LHM Fluid Everywhere!

Post by KeithTaylor »

Well disaster has struck my BX after doing so many jobs on her and getting her running great too!
I went out this morning started her up and waited for the stop light to go out as you do but didnt happen and I noticed the hydraulic pump going mad so turned the engine off and looked under the car to see a huge puddle of LHM, after much searching I finally found where its coming from, when I turn the wheel to full lock and look behind the wheel I can see a split in a pipe, nothing to do with brakes I know that but its on a pipe sorta on the main body but right under the engine, hard to describe but you might know what I mean.
Any help or suggestions would be great and any idea how much it would cost to get this sorta thing fixed?
KeithTaylor

Post by KeithTaylor »

Oh thought I should mention the split pipe is on the passenger side.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

That might be the return pipe from the security switch, these fail quite often and are only a push fit, put car on full lock turning right and its in there on top of the crossmsmber, it runs back to the regulator, failing that it might be the octopus, search the forum for ideas, the good news is that your 1.4 BX has relatively lots of room around things under there.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Is this one of the 2 pipes running under the gearbox - with coils in them at the back of the engine? I had the main one from the regulator to the safety valve fail (plastic bracket chafed through it till it dripped! - went through MOT like that!) - and it cost me about £22 for a brand new pipe from Citroen. I think this pipe is the left hand one - but please check before ordering.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

From your description of the situation I'd say that oily Stewart is spot on with his diagnosis. Go purchase 0.3-0.5m of fuel hose - 3-3.5mm(max) internal diameter - then replace the split hose you can see. Reach in over the subframe - and you will find either a T-piece or a rigid plastic pipe the hose attaches to one end - and the stud on security valve other end.

Its a very common BX problem. This rubber hose is NOT under pressure - and will only seep out some messy spillage during your work.
You will not have to release the hydraulic pressure - nor will you need to take any measures for bleeding etc.
Its a straight hose replacement job.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Hmmm... HP pump going mad and a "huge puddle" of LHM...Stop light not going off...

To loose your LHM that quickly, it sounds more like an HP pipe to me. Possibly an operational return, but then why would the pump go mad ? Completely out of LHM ?
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Hi

Similar thing happened to me in my gti last year.

It sounds like the Hydraoulic return pipe which is clipped to the back of the suspension. (two black rubber hoses joined at the top)

If it is this it is really easy to fix, you just need to get her up in high, and then unclip the hose, then the pull the return pipes off, (they are just a push fit) then to fit the new one, just align the "joined part of the hose with the hole, hold on and re clip.

it was a lot easier if someone gives you a hand to reclip, as it is a bit difficult holding the pipe in place and tensioning the clip at the same time.

Also we made a litle tool out of some thin plate steel to use on the clip as it is a bit difficult with pliers direct onto clip. Hard to explain in text, but basically gives room for the nose of thepliers to close.

Sholuld do it in an hour! if you can get the clip on that is

Hope this is of use,

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Cavmads estate did this and as stewart says the return from the security valve is just a push fit cavmad thought he was in to a new octopus and instead I spent 5 mins replacing the return and job done.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I hope it is the return pipe from the safety valve but while there is sufficient fluid in the reservoir the light will remain out and the system will function normally apart from the leak of course.

Fitting the steel pipe wasn't as difficult as it looked - even threading it round the subframe was possible and it lined up beautifully.