Interchangeability

BX Tech talk
artic-steel

Interchangeability

Post by artic-steel »

How much of the BX is common to all models?, struts?, HP Pumps?, Driveshafts? etc, i have 2 1.9GTi's & a 1.9 N/A diesel which i suspect i will break. I know i need a HP pump & one of my driveshafts is noisy will the diesel be any use for mechanical spares?
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Front suspension struts are all the same over model range and over the year models - no exceptions.
Rear suspension cylinders differs on berline and break - regardless of engine type and year model. Difference is the cylinder bore/piston diameter. Berline have 35mm, Break have 38mm. They may however be swapped at will no problem. But it will be a problem having different cylinders each side of the car 8)

a) Hydraulic pumps are the same to all 8valve 16/19 petrol engines.
b) Hydraulic pumps are the same to all diesel/turbo diesel engines.
c) hydraulic pumps are unique to 14 engines
d) hydraulic pumps are unique to 16valve engines

Pump types in categories a - d above can not be swapped or mixed - as they are different in either housing base mount - or drive belt pulley diameter - to such an extent it would require extensive modifications to swap them over.

Spheres are always unique to model and axle applications.

Driveshafts will fit over the model range 16/19 diesel/turbo/petrol 8valve/16valve all year models - PROVIDED the splines count are the same. Its quite easy & fast to instantly recognise - holding one axle end to the other you want to swap - if they fit.
Note however that ABS fitted cars must have a toothed ring grooved into the CV joint.
Even the Citroen genuine documentation on this issue is very hard to overlook.
Driveaxles for the 14 engines are unique.

Gearboxes may be swapped at will over the engine range. But there are countless variants as to the gear ratios over the models and over the years.

Starter motors are the same to 16/19 8/16 valve petrols & diesels. They are all rated at some 0.9Bhp crank power except for diesels - which needs higher cranking power. Usually the diesels are "Mitsubishi" types with reduction gear.

Alternators will swap over the range. Observe the ouput power.

Engine parts in general does not swap diesel/petrol.

Rest of the car is usable for the complete range - i.e. hydraulics, steering, brakes, electrics, fuel system, bodywork, interior etc..
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

What he said! :wink: :D :lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Just to say brake pads are all the same but 16 valve has ventilated front discs and different calipers - which are only WIDER

Overall remarkable use of common parts - and the 14 was still a very light car for its size.
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Go that man, Anders i never expected such a comprehensive reply, thank you so much, thats answered all my questions except what do do with the TXD
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

artic-steel wrote: what do do with the TXD
Wrap it and post it surface mail to me 8)
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

What about exhausts?, The GTi one is fast becoming more gun gum than metal, the TXD one is good & looks identical
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Unless your TXD is a turbo one, it won't fit. N/A deisels have a slot in sleeve fitting at their joints, while GTi ones have a flange mounting, like the TD