Arrh cant get replacement speaker for MK1 BX!

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Arrh cant get replacement speaker for MK1 BX!

Post by adamskibx »

Does anyone know the best way of tracking down the right speaker for the car? I can find all the right speakers for the MK2 BX, but not the MK1. One of them has blown and the other cant be far off as its from 1985 and the paper has gone very dry and brittle. The diameter is only 61mm and yet the magnet is almost as wide so it looks like a very powerful speaker for its size. Halfrauds speakers are all too big, and when looking on the net at shops like Maplins, the speakers are all to the nearest inch and I think 6cm is about 2.5 inches
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have a speaker complete with a car attached you can have for £50! lol
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Has this car only got these 2 tiny speakers or is there a larger central main unit?

My Renault 21 had a massive central unit which in fact was powered by both chanels and the 2 small ones were tweeters.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Mk2 dashpanel speakers (tweeters they are in fact) should fit as well.
Any tweeter at a reasonable cost and fitting the hole will do. Dont get them more than some 8Watts - as you cant regulate down the treble setting enough on your stereo then. Just remember you need a HighPass feed/filter in the speaker wiring to these modern units. Usually this is simply a BiPolar electrolytic capacitor - one for each speaker.

As Jeremy says you've got the weird & heavy dual coil speaker/boomer unit up under the dash for mid & low range.
This is btw a very effective unit.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My mk1 had a set of 4 kenwood speakers built nto the dor panels, there quite old but look like they should be there as there very well fitted! If you by the car adam you can swap the door panels etc then sell the TRS on with yours in it!

You cant fault me for trying! :shock:
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Tim if I had the space and time/money to buy your car I would (not jsut for the speakers I might add :) ) I cant beleive nobody has snapped such a rare BX up yet.

I have done a temp fix on the speaker-Ive glued up the tear in the cone and it has stopped the distortion so I can turn up the volume again now, although I suspect it doesnt sound as good as it should so ill try fitting a MK2 BX tweeter as sugested by Anders. Cheers for that tip btw. The current speakers do have a capacitor soldered on, so ill get some the same as those for any replacements.

Jeremy and Anders, your right about the MK1 having that heavy central speaker under the glovebox. Its interesting that the Renault 21 had such a system, I thought it was unique to the BX. The handbook mentions a "5 speaker option" available as an extra or as standard on some models. Its odd as the rear speaker holes in the rear quarter panel window area are blanked out and there are box type Pioneer parcel shelf speakers that look very 1985 period so ive kept them in place. They are however, the weak point of the system, sounding rather coloured (like a plastic box vibrating under water really) Overall though, the sound system is amazing for a 1985 car, and ive held on to the original radio that was £230 in 1985, on top of the price of the car according to the purchase invoice. A CD player is what I use now as it is easier to tune in to the radio and can get more stations.

Once I fit the BX MK2 tweaters, I may consider putting some modern speaks in the parcel shelf, so long as the parcel shelf is definately interchangeable with a MK2 shelf so that I dont permenantly alter the cars originality. On the subject of rear speakers, ive got a question that hopefully someone will understand. Between the two old box speakers screwed into the parcel shelf, there is a flimsy plastic box about 10cm wide and 6 long (if that makes sense!), with a cylindrical thing inside it and a square hole for some sort of key on the outside. The speaker wires go up into it, and ive no idea what it does.

Cheers for all your help, Adam