Lower Engine Mount

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Lower Engine Mount

Post by ed4ferrets »

I'm convinced there was a thread recently belabouring this subject, both the availability of parts and the technical bits of replacing a knackered mounting :? No amount of searching has turned it up for me, can anyone help?

One of the points made was that GS&F stocked the rubber disc only, whereas the genuine cit part included some or other metal part for not much more money!

Hope this rings a bell with someone, it is a job I've not tackled in the past :shock:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Jon, That's it although I must have imagined the bit about the alternative part :?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Lower bush can come seperate. You have to remove the whole alloy housing that the driveshaft passes through and beat the old one out, then press the new one in and refit housing.

Or you can buy a complete unit, which is the whole new alloy housing with a bush already fitted. Plug and play.

I used to do this when I worked at Euro's as on staff discount it was only about £31. But over the counter I think they're nearer £70. They're genuine Citroen/Peugeot parts as you can't get A/M housings. The bush is made by Lemforder though.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

As you will have seen from the link the bush can be replaced in situ. This avoids having to remove the driveshaft. When I did it it was a bit tedious sawing through the outer band of the old bush but otherwise it wasn't really difficult to get out. I deep froze the new bush to increase the clearance to make it easier to fit and with a dab of grease round the outside it went in quite easily.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Seems like a bit of work up though? Its pretty easy to remove the whole thing, I've always done it that way.

bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Seemed less of a workup than dismantling the front suspension, removing the drive shaft and the plate, replacing gearbox seal etc. only do do the same job admittedly standing at a bench.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well its hardly dismantling the suspension is it? :lol: You split the ball joint off, undo the hub nut and the two 11mm retaining bolts on the d/shaft and pull it out. If you jack the car up at one side on low you don't usually lose any gearbox oil either. As for changing the seal, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is what I say. Can often do more harm than good.