Track Days

Anything about BXs
artic-steel

Track Days

Post by artic-steel »

Has anyone got any experience of track days?, What mods do you need to make too your car?, do you need a rollcage etc?, I'm tempted too have a go at one myself.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

It can wreck your car mate if your not careful, thrashing a 20 year old road car round a track is a sure fire way to break it! Dont know about what you need regarding rollcages, if its your own car and just you driving then I would imagine not much is required!

Best way if you want to have ago is to buy a a "experience voucher" from boots or such like where you get to drive a specially preoared car or at least break someone elses motor!
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

afaik for a track day all you need is a helmet and insurance! there are track days all over the place prolly one a weekend as such! they do put you through a saftey briefing before they let you loose on the track so you do have some idea of what your doing!!! and what flags mean what hahahA!
it will put some extra stresses on the car but what the hell! drive the car like its designed to! take a few odd spares with you just incase! and its worth having a set of legal tyres with you to be able to drive home on as you may find that you have none left after your session!
give gary cole an email as he races the 16v as covered on www.bx16v.co.uk and get some tips!!
just make sure you have a track insurance cover for it! as you wouldnt want to bin it and have nothing left!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
munfred

Post by munfred »

tbh most people go on track days without track insurance.
I have track day cover on the sallye, but its only for non competative track use. Once there is timing or placing then its invalid.

All you need to take with you is your legal car (most places has to be below a certain db limit) driving licence and a helmet.
Depending on where you go, will depend how strict they are, but in general, you need to be full covered, ie no shorts and tshirt, but trousers and long sleeves, and windows must be closed.

Check oil, coolant, gearbox oil and lhm. Take some spare fluid along with you just in case. Spare petrol? and a few tools just in case.

sounding like I know what I am talking about, but I dont. Hoping to do my 1st track session this saturday, and this is what I have been told to prepare myself ;)
I own a saxo, but don't hold that against me. I now have a BX aswell ;)
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Are you taking a BX?, let me know how you get on, i'm going to take mine, if she blows ,she blows i'm sure the fun factor will outweigh the cost
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:shock: If she blows that a prefectly good bx useless tho!
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Tim,I wish you could win the lottery,then you could go round the country saving BX's.It's a job I could handle too.Until then,you will have to accept that some of these wonderful cars are going to die :evil: Whatever their demise,there is nothing we can do about it.Now there's a thought,I haven't checked my lottery tickets yet :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I took a 17-year old BMW 323i out on Goodwood for a total of 36 laps once, It was only really possible to do 5 laps at a time before the brakes were fried, and the engine smoked a bit after the experience. I took a helmet and that was it. I wished, whilst driving, that I didn't have to wear one as it was a tight fit and I wasn't used to it. Try driving your BX in a spirited fashion wearing a helmet. It might prove difficult.

My suggestion is do it if you want. Make sure your tyres are at correct pressure and your tank isn't full of petrol. Take your spare off (leave it in the paddock) as well as any extra weight like tool kit.

Ensure you have good oil and coolant levels (don't overfill - I reckon a bit of room for manoeuver is good - make the levels short of max). Wear appropriate footwear (driving boots will unfortunately draw unfavourable comment!) and make sure you do a warm up and cool down lap.

Above all don't be afraid of stuffing the car - if you are overly cautious it'll not feel right :twisted:

Good luck! :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I did the palmer sport driving day at bedford auto drome and you will be amazed how much you get away with on the track, there is sooo much in reserve most of the time.

I've done bike track days and they seem to cope better than cars with track use.

At the end of the day everything is repairable, bear that in mind and get out and enjoy it :-)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
munfred

Post by munfred »

Bedford Autodrome is just up the road from me, but never really had chance to go there.
None of my cars have really been in the state that I would want to take them onto the track.

The saxo has been gagging to be taken out over the last year, but always had something wrong when I have had the opportunity, like hole in the fuel tank at FCS2006, meaning I could only put a certain ammount in. Im kind of bricking it, so my thoughts are if I empty myself before I go on the track then 1. I wont fill my kegs, and 2. it should make the car lighter :P
maybe I should hardwire the fan on the BX and see if that survives the track abuse. :wink:

I think you are also supposed to tape up the headlights, incase of stones etc flying up and smashing lights etc, so that the glass doesnt go on the track, or at least that is what I assume the tape is for.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the tape is so you dont blind people! Sudden acceleration and braking causes your headlights to shine up and down (regardless of the car) and can be VERY dazzling on the track, hence why a cross is put on, on square headlights like the BX this is just about bang on the focus point of the light!

Im joining Munfred at the same track session this weekend (hmm with duff rings, should be fun!), i have track insurance, helmet, fire suit including gloves, overalls, balla, shoes and socks and will probably race on the 17's as i havent a set of worse tyres :( Unless someone has some alloys with a bit of rubber between here and coventry i can buy?
munfred

Post by munfred »

GULP!

Fire suit and overalls. you sound pro :P
Ill be in my underwear to keep the weight down so that I may be able to keep up with you in my little saxo :wink:

Long johns of course, so that my arms and legs are covered. :P
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Bedford Autodrome is ace, the jonothan palmer place there has 7 different purpose built mini circuits there, all good ones too :-)

I drove there.........

Clio Cup race car
Jaguar 3 litre sports prototype
Formula Palmer Audi single seaters
Catherams
Evo 6's on a short rally stage
frontera on off road circuit
VX220

I got the place there through work, our dealer network got it as a prize for meeting targets and extra spaces head office staff filled :-) BRILLIANT!!!
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

munfred, if you get behind me you will be totally screwed, i doubt you'll be able to see :D

No smoke no poke you see!