BX Diesel Auto

Anything about BXs
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Well, went with Chris Joyce down to Weston to look at a silver TXD Auto this morning. It was at a 'garage' and had been taken in as px. WHAT A SHED :shock:. The body, bumpers, teatray etc were such a load of bodges that we didn't hang around to see anything else #-o . Pity really as mileage is alleged to be 86k. :roll:. Reckon they'll have to give it away if anyone's interested in the transmission or whatever 8)
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The problem is my health and changing a lump / box and wiring is a bit heavy for me, I suffered for days in pain after doing the transplant on my diesel with the help and thanks to ken and billy but i dont think i can do it again. It was one of the options i had when i still had my diesel was to put the auto box in it but it was too much for me. :(
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

I'm sure we could throw together a working party, i have very limited knowledge but lots of enthusiasm, so count me in
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Good thinking Artic. Aaron, if you can source a diesel motor and can borrow an engine hoist I`m more than willing to lend a hand if needed.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

My big issue is cash i cannot afford to buy another car and the costs involved in doing the transfer / conversion is just not possible at the moment especially with it being school holidays plus good diesels are hard to find cheap.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I bet you`ll find a BX with a good motor knocking about very cheap Aaron. If you ever get Skeggy way it`d probably be worth giving the owner of the TZD that I spotted a knock. Looks like it`d been there a while (so should be cheap) and if you can get it mobile easily enough it`d be worth borrowing an A frame and towing it down here and we`ll transplant engines over.
If anything turns up round here with a good diesel engine either free or very cheap i`ll let you know matey.
How`s the tow bar btw, have you had it fitted yet?
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

No not yet getting some help to do that
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

artic-steel wrote:
Gearboxes may be swapped at will over the engine range. But there are countless variants as to the gear ratios over the models and over the years

They are the words of Anders in reply to my question on techinical, maybe transplant a 1.7 turbo lump into your TZS, i'm sure someone on here can tell you how much the ratios vary & what the affect would be.
The 17td lump will indeed run any bx autobox, but the ratio's do differ alot and the internals of the differing boxes are considerable. a GTI box would be the closest match to the diesel, a little lower geared but would cope with the torque of the td. If you runa normally aspirated engine any box would do, you'll never rip the guts out of it! but top speed would be compromised.
By far the best autobox for a td would be the last of the xantia auto's. Much stronger internally, but hard to find, unless you got more money than sense!
I can probably find you a zx diesel autobox for very few pennies if you want one, I really would advise going the td route if you're gona do it, it makes the car much more civilised and easier to live with. Dad gets about 53mpg on a run and 40mpg round town with his td auto, when it was N/A it got about 24mpg round town and 37 on a run! and it was so slow! 87mph flat out down hill with a following wind!

I'm quite happy to be included in a working party to throw it together and install (assuming I'm around).
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Looks like we are forming a plan then chaps? I`m pretty confident that between us we could all help Sleepy out and it would be good for the club in general as well as a chance for a few of us to meet up and offer help?
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I can make the tea! :D
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

[/quote]when it was N/A it got about 24mpg round town and 37 on a run! and it was so slow! 87mph flat out.[/quote]

F**k me. How fast do you want to go! Don't know about Bristol, but I thought the speed limit was 70 mph in most parts of the UK.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:shock:
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Speed.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Yes Quite so the actual top speed was not that important, the 87 mph was only ever attained once and that was down hill and took quite a few miles to get to. The engine sounded very busy at 60 mph and to get above that speed took a l o n g time.
The most dangerous aspect was overtaking, for example, overtaking something going at 50 mph I would increase the throttle and start to acelerate, give it a bit more and the box would change down and the revs would increase to almost max and the actual speed increase would be about 10/12 mph which may seem a lot but when overtaking it isnt so good. Back off and it would change up and IF there was enough time then I could creep past ,none to safe, there was no margin for any error or change in speed of the vehicle being overtaken. Put foot down and the whole process repeated it's self.
In this kind of situation the top speed is somewhat unimportant. I may well be wrong but it sounds Ken as if your idea would be to limit all cars to 70 mph, good in theory but lethal in practice.
I have a V6 Xantia with a top speed in excess of 125 mph but it dosnt mean that I drive it that fast or even need or want to, but if I wish to then overtaking is not a problem as it is achieved quickly and safely. The engine and transmission at 70 mph are hardly having to work at all. and it's all very peacefull and unstressed both for car and driver.
Cheers.
Geoff.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Well thanks to eveyone but i dont really want to break the tzs up as it is a really good car no rot and very tidy plus it has full service history and low miles so i would prefer to get a diesel auto rather than convert the tzs as it would be a shame to rip up a very good servicable car.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Speed 2

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Ken Having read what you said again then I can only comment that I am sorry if you are having an off day, but if you decide to have a go then that's fine but at least check your facts, you assume that the 87 mph was done on a public road and that I would except the invatation IE "FU*K ME" well no thanks.
I have always tried to be helpfull and as polite as is possible, hopefully.
If you wish then contact me privately you are more than welcome but I dont think the Forum is the place to be under attack.
Geoff.