Dodgy Turbo?

BX Tech talk
SexyBxey

Dodgy Turbo?

Post by SexyBxey »

LO all,

I have a 1.7TZD and am having a slightly strange problem.

I'm hoping its a known fault, well, here goes!

Sometimes, if i'm driving along at about 1/3 throtte, i get like a surge of power, almost like theres a secret NOS supply in the car that i dont know about. It doesnt do it very often, and when it does It feels like the car has a hell of a lot of power!

It's weird as normally it doesnt seem like its lacking in power, unless i just don't expect much from a diesel!

If the car always ran like it does when its doing its thing, it would be brilliant as it feels really powerful and responsive.

It will only do it for a few seconds at a time, and often does it when i'm cornering, which is um....interesting! as it yanks you through the corner and grips really well!

I suspect its something up with the turbo, maybe boost spikes?

The car doesnt feel that lethargic usually and at full throttle you can definitly feel the turbo pull.

Any ideas? Its kinda strange!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

There are no such things like boost spikes 8)

- but they dont exists :lol:

I'm pretty sure you are experiencing one of 2 possible problems :

1) the small intercooler pressure signal hose to the diesel rotary pump is leaking - or filled up with oily gunk. This pressure signals the pump to inject more fuel - and you get that much wanted power boost. But you should get it constantly - i.e. when you boot the pedal.

2) the diesel pump has a leaking fuel line somewhere. Air in the fuel is known to upset the governor function - thus hesitating to supply the correct amount of fuel injected. My guess this is the most likely problem - and a nuisance to track down. A thorough visual inspection of every and all the fuel lines is still the best way tracking a fault. Often its is simply a rubber hose perished and then split at a stud somewhere. Replace the complete hose run then.

Your TZD should feel responsive all the time - not just in "boost spikes". By nature of the turbo construction - it will always supply a seamless air pressure - as it can not suddenly spin up or spin down - in spikes.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
SexyBxey

Post by SexyBxey »

THANK YOU!!!!

I know the problem, I have found a leak on one of the fuel lines under the drivers side sill of the car.

Just need to fix it now!

It drips from the fuel line, the more i fill the car up, the more it leaks.

Thought it may be a return line, of fixing that gives me that power all the time I will be very impressed with the diesels performance!!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Ahh -

But replace both the rigid fuel lines here then !
They are AMAZINGLY cheap as genuine Citroen parts :shock:
- yes you literally get a positive shock.

Some £28 both pipes incl vat. - beats any manouvre getting some length og plumbers copper piping and bodge into shape :D
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If I remember rightly they are even chaper from GS&F (also genuine Citroen parts). I bought a couple 2 years ago "just in case" but haven't had the need to fit them yet. No doubt I will soon.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.