BX Diesel Auto

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

What a bitchy comment! 87mph may well be faster than the national limit, but if it can only muster up 87 mph, it probably took a painfully long and fuel guzzling time to get there. Not safe for overtaking, not safe for joining slip roads and certainly no fun to drive.

I keep to the limits in the 16v. You should be ashamed Geoffrey.

Except the time it bounced in 5th and went off the clock of course. :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

87mph, legal or not legal?

and yes it's perfectly safe to drive AND overtake providing you treat the car according to its abilities.

I've been to a yard this afternoon which was crammed to capacity of cars which were fun to drive and probably capable of doing 100mph or more.

However none of them will be seeing the road again.
Last edited by ken newbold on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Geoff,I know Ken and there's no way that he's having a dig at you.Just put it down to the strange Yorkshire sense of humour and forget about it :wink:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Here we go again.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Its my thread but I am staying out of this. :shock:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Seen nothing for anyone to get upset about but let`s go back on topic....

Sleepy, are you aware of the diesel automatic on eBay? I`ll try and find the link if you haven`t spotted it already.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

yes i have seen it but there could be a lot of expense there as it needs jobs doing and one major one it that noisy auto box but i would then have to find a replacement auto box and i dont want to break apart the TZS it is far too good a car to do that, but I am still trying ideas and seeing what is out there as there is nothing set in stone yet.
But i think i will stick with the TZS for now and keep looking for a good diesel Auto
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d have a go at turning your`s into a diesel if nothing else shows up mate. Have you looked on the likes of Adtrader etc?
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

ken newbold wrote:
F**k me. How fast do you want to go! Don't know about Bristol, but I thought the speed limit was 70 mph in most parts of the UK.[/quote]

Of course it could be argued that if no-one ever broke the speed limit or laws in general then we wouldn't need laws or the police!! Not that I ever break the speed limit in my cars of course! :wink:
More often than not they are in bits so the wont even overcome inertia!

Hoes about a 16v auto??? Reckin it's doable :idea:

Perhaps the best solution for sleepy and all of us with thirsty cars would be to overthrow the thieving goverment and wipe out fuel excise duty, I nearly died when I filled the 16v up earlier. G Brown esq. of Westminster may as well have been pointing a gun at my head demanding my wallet :x
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Know what you mean Chris. I always avoided diesel cars because I like the power of petrol engines and knew I`d never want to go back and it`s turned out to be true. Even petrol cars that are quite reasonable on fuel have seemed quite expensive to run and the cost of fuel is extortianate. As a slight aside what bugged me about the fuel protests the other year was the targetting of refineries: they may very well make the fuel but it`s the govornment(s) that sting us in taxes.
I used to think that the idea of abolishing road tax and putting it on fuel would be a good idea but it would never work for us (the common motorist) because they`d just keep on hiking up the tax on fuel whenever it suited them :evil:
Vauxhall apologist.
st gilles

Post by st gilles »

Keeping out of the 'speed' argument. I can only assume that there was 'something amiss' with the afore mentioned Auto Diesel as mine is no slouch and surprised me at just how quick off the mark it was when I test drove it and it still impresses me every time I get to drive it. Kickdown is very impressive; it just sails past on overtakes and its 'indicated' top speed is just a shade over 100kph true speed is (according to my sat nav) 87mph.....but is reaches it very quickly. It is a normally aspirated, LHD TZD 1.9 and I've never had less than 40mpg out of and over 55 on a run.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Agreed Chris, my fuels free with work but on my own cars I have to pay myself, as I lik ethe GTi auto so much ive been using it abit and its costing a fortune! :shock:
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi well I dont Know if there was anything wrong with it as I didnt have anything to compare it with. When I got it it had 63,000 on it, It was quite quick picking up in 1st and 2nd but in 3rd it was OK to start with but ran out of steam above about 3,500 rpm, when it went into 4th it quite simply seemed to drop dead, it would accelerate very slowly as if 4th was too tall, unless you were quite gentle with the throttle and let it build up speed at it's own pace. When in 4th anything more than a gentle prod on the go pedal would result in a down change, if you made the mistake of giving it more than about 3/4 throttle in a hurry it would "snap" change into 2nd and rev to the govenor, that was most unpleasent, then into 3rd and die off, into 4th and die very quickly. There seemed to be no top end at all. I do know that diesels have a limited rev range, try 1700 in a Gardener or 2200 in an AEC.
The kick down cable was adjusted properly, tried all sorts of adjustments, the box for what ever reason seemed to be ultra sensative to throttle movement. There was a slight improvement if the car was driven manually on the stick and "held" in each gear and it was thrashed. Kind of defeats the whole object really. A 1.9 N/A manuel could leave it for dead IN 5th.
One day was stopped put it into reverse to back it into the garage and BANG! That was the end of that. Sump full of small and not so small pieces. Found a cure at last.
Sorry it was long please feel free to move/delete as you think fit.
Cheers.
Geoff.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Geoff, the Volvo 940 2.0 turbo auto I owned fairly recently was an absolute pig to drive fast and displayed many of the symptons you have described. Whilst it was superb to drive at a leisurely pace it was virtually impossible to get it to go fast constantly and the kick down rarely seemed to work as it should. It was also horrific on juice and I was in a lot of ways glad to see the back of it.
The BX GTi auto I owned (now in the capable hands of Ian Fearn) was the exact opposite: an absolute dream to drive either slowly or quickly and the gear changes were smooth and precise everytime and it was like driving two completely different cars dependant on driving moods.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Geoff the 19TGD auto I bought from ebay and then sold to Ken went like stink and pulled like a train through all the gears, was the fastest n/a diesel I have ever driven.