BX Diesel Auto

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I've noticed huge variations in N/A disels over the years. Dont think I've ever driven two that drive the same. Before I threw the TD lump in my BX it was N/A. The original N/A lump went really well, revved out, pulled well and was sweet and quiet. The second N/A lump I fitted was rough (almost agricultural), had loads of torque at the bottom end but didn't like revving and the power fell off over 3000RPM, that was with new pistons/rings/pump/injectors etc. If I had to have an auto I'd get a GTI 8V auto or another 2.1TD XM auto.

Still, it seems general opinion is that the Government is screwing us all, so I think I'll swing my over throw plans into practice. Reckon I'll need 3000 tanks, napalm, and a small off duty scandanavian traffis warden. Cheap petrol here we come!!!! :lol:
Seriously though, it really gets up my nose that I'm held to ransome by the government (and lets not forget, we pay their wages) for everything I like to do (cars, buses, smoking, drinking etc).
Maybe I needto find a tax haven that sells hi-octane fuel!!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Its more likely the gearbox that saps all the power. The old mk1 16TRS auto I had was frustratingly slow (and thristy). The engine simply didn't have enough guts to work the auto box.
In fact, it actually got outsprinted by the 19RD estate (manual) I also had :shock:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote:Its more likely the gearbox that saps all the power.
You're not wrong. I have vast experience of commercial autoboxes of various types as used in buses. Allison transmissions (very old fashioned, no lock-up clutch, all hydraulic with valve chest) saps about 25% of the horsepower of a 130BHP 5.9litre Cummins B series engine, whereas the uber lovely ZF 5HP500 series box as fitted in Volvo B10BLE and Dennis Lances have 1/2 gears, full lock up on every gear, ecu controlled, full integral retarder (additional braking device) and only sap 9% of the ponies (in the case of the Dennis its 211BHP from the 8.3litre Cummins C series lump and the Volvo a staggering 364BHP from 10 litres!!)
Auto's are fine if you need an auto but I'd always go with the manual box, unless it's in a bus, where changing gears manually is a pain in the a*se!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...