Fitting a Tow Bar

BX Tech talk
Spud

Fitting a Tow Bar

Post by Spud »

Hi, does anyone know? Just bought a 91 TZD Est as a donor vehicle but it's to good to break. It has a tow bar but no wiring. Anyone know if this model comes with factory wired push in conectors or will I have to break in to the loom? I'm no electrician! Many thanks Spud.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

If you can get hold of a genuine citroen wiring loom for the tow bar it is a straight plug in job, but otherwise you have to break into the loom behind one of the rear lights.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

The one I gave to Sleepy was connected by Scotchlock type connectors and was broken in to the wiring for the back lights. I didn`t photo where the wires went to sorry but it didn`t look too bad a job.
Sleepy, perhaps you could photoshop yours when you fit it so it can be used as a reference for the future?
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

If anyone needs the correct wiring i have the instructions of which colour goes to which light also dont forget in the uk it is a legal requirement to either have a visual or audiable warning that the indicators work I have the buzzer in the boot.
I also needed a 2" spacer on my old BX to move the tow ball away from the bumper otherwise it was just toooo close.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

There is a proper wire and plug which fits under the socket in the nearside rear lamp unit - yes as easy as that or nearly. From what I've seen on boards it may be the same as Xantia and ZX - but make sure. people like Indespension and Towsure as well as Halfords may sell them.

The 'Nearly' refers to the disappearing car rear foglight problem. Some if not all the proprietory ones have a nice black socket which has some arrangement whereby the car rear foglights are turned off when the trailer lights are connected. (Stops you being dazzled by reflections off the front of your caravan!) This is fine but if the correct socket is not used there is an additional wire in the loom and the car rear foglights don't work!

Can be overcome - easily if you know where the problem is! - How do I know?