What would you do??

Anything about BXs
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

What would you do??

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi all as a carry over from auto diesels of which I have one and it's now quite pleasent to drive, then I was thinking about the 1-9 petrol auto as it seems to be a different beast all together. SO what are they really like (I am not going to mention speed as I seemed to upset someone) most notably drive ability, what speeds, oh dear what did I say, does it change gears at ? As the diesel changes at a minimum of 1 into 2 @ 20mph. 2 into 3 at 30. and into 4 at 45 ( but in reality closer to 50.) This is being very very gentle with the throttle. Also a round town and motorway fuel consumption figure.
The reason is I have a Xantia (V6) it has all the bells and whistles, air con bags, cruise and for what it is the fuel consumption could be worse. 25 round town and 32/33 on a run, BUT for what ever reason the BX car is better,it's how it feels. Silly I know but I am trying to compare the two.
I am caught in between something which is younger, seems to be better built, probably safer and a much lower mileage (51,000) quiet, comfortable blah,blah etc. but not involving dare I say it dull. So whats your opinions chaps? Just what is the 1-9 petrol auto like.
Cheers and ta .
Geoff.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, you already know my opinion on this one bud!
The Xantia may be all things to some people but I've never liked them. Bland Eurobox. Ok, yours is the one to have if you must have a xanty but it's still a xanty!
The few bx gti auto's I've driven have been great fun! Urgent acceleration, nice cruisers, and of course it looks sooooooooooooo much better than the xanty!
No idea what the economy figures are, guess it depends how heavy your right foot is! (I know it's nowhere near as heavy as mine!).
That said, your xanty has air con, is fairly comfortable if not supportive and goes well. That engine in a bx would be nice!
It's horses for courses, if everyone had bx's the world would be a boring place and we'd not be able to look down our collective noses at people that drive "boring" cars! If you like the V6, stick with it. I know the need the air-con and finding a bx gti auto with air-con would not be easy!
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Umm well there is an alternative I guess mate, that is to fit a V6 into a BX, it can be done and I know you like a challenge, so hey get your spanners out. :wink: :wink:
Cheers.
Geoff
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've just sold my Xantia V6 for the very same reason. Even with ooodles of power it just wasnt even half as much fun to drive as my BX TZD Turbo.

Between me and my lass we run my TZD turbo and her GTi Auto. The GTi auto performance wise feels very similar to my TZD although hers is noiser. The noise is almost certainly down to a knackered exhaust.

I trust the BX's to take me places, i have the confidence to know that if it breaks i can fix it and i have the mechanical aptitude to keep it well maintained.

Viva le BX
Over and out from me
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Here here. I would have a go at sticking a 24v V6 in a bx but having just driven the v6 xanty (yes, at this time of the morning) I have to say it's not bad (sounds nice, goes really well and the autobox is sweeeeeet). I'd still rather pilot a bx but maybe it's worth hanging on to the xanty since it's got features you like tilla minter gti auto with air-con turns up??
Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

GTi

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Yes if a really good one came up and it would have to be, then I would seriously concider having it, even with out air con there is always windows and sunroof. I would have to sell the V6 and I would exspect £1000-00 or so -- we will have to see what turns up.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Keep trying I'm almost converted. :wink: :wink:
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Geoffrey, i've just sold my Xantia V6 for £2500.

It sold a while back but it only came out for sale in this months CCC mag. I've had soooo many enquires in a few days its unreal.
Over and out from me
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

V6

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thank you for that Ian that is encouraging, the only reason for the Xantia was that it had aircon and due to a health problem the hot weather makes me quite ill and to be honest the BX was smacked when parked and I was very upset and it was the case of "It will never be the same again, it is spoilt etc."And it really got to me."
Anyway thats my problem and it's slowly getting sorted.
Thanks.
Geoff.
Ah it could have gone up a bit passed the MOT ,no probs apart from a couple of bulbs..
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I've had two Xantias and they were both pretty dull.

The TD was pretty lame to be honest. Gutless, not all that economic, flat to drive and average all round. Built well though and roomy.

Also had an Activa. Loved that, but a lame engine and frankly awful fuel economy killed off those dreams in about a month.
You could just about hit 30mpg in it. But the turbo was so easy to spool up and to be honest driving it off boost was mundane and dull. :twisted:

BX's are definately more involving to drive and own. Much more character and a better ride in some (the Mk1's seem to be superior over the Mk2's) although as its been said 100times before the Xantia is far more refined and irons the little bumps out better. But overall ride is slightly worse, plus they pitch and dive like no ones business and the steering feels really really dead IMO.

So what you want is an XM :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ah yes, XM's. God I iss my old grey beast.... :(
I suspect another will join the fleet at some stage.
I have to say I quite enjoyed ferrying the xanty to and from the mot station today (er, yesterday!). If you're gona have a xanty I think the V6 is the one to have.
That said if you can get that much sterling for it....................
£2500 is alot of bx's and a holiday in the Seychelles!
Cheers
Chris G