GLow plugs?

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

GLow plugs?

Post by ed4ferrets »

Sometimes the glow plugs are not functioning, light not showing, engine not starting....... not even in this weather :?

A poke with a screwdriver where the wire connects to the first plug and a tap on the relay box seems to temporarilly remind it who's boss :wink: but then weeks or months down the line it happens again #-o

What's a fulltime (cheap) solution?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
M

Post by M »

If the glowplug warning lamp isnt lighting up this could be one of two things - power to the heater plug relay isnt getting there or the timer relay itself is worn.
As it seems to work when you give it a prod, I would suspect a poor connection - the soloution to renew and see if that helps.
Otherwise try another relay and see if its any better.#
Oh yes, forgot to mention, it could be a worn ignition switch, but I would go for dodgey connection at the relay first.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Ta Marty, will check it out .... also have a wandering accelerator pedal to remedy before selling the old girl for a pittance :roll:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

From the battery plus pole - you havethis weird huge spade connector distributor plug. This is known to play up. I've tried sort out this on one of my BX'es. The only remedy to finally sort it out - was a new battery pole clamp connecting all the wires to the battery.

That spade connector distributor - is a direct invitation to problems somewhere over time ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Don't think you need it but look what I've found.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/sea ... er&x=0&y=0
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Ed is your glow plug relay the blue one if so i have one you can have for postage cost I will also throw some glow plugs in.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Cheers Sleepy but problem sorted (bad connection) and the car is with it's new owner :cry:

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

ok no problem
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

E4F -

I like your new avatar much better than the silly dancer you had :lol:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak