HI new member! What BX model would give me least hassle?

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Yeah, but he`s probably nearer to the greatest county known to man-Cheshire.
I reckon he`s slowly wheedling himself away from Yorkshire and is heading to West Cheshire eventually. Perhaps he`s saving up as he goes along? Doesn`t come cheap living here and after all it`s the greatest place in the world. Mind you I suppose after having lived in Yorkshire anywhere seems upmarket and expensive :?: :D
Vauxhall apologist.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

The challenge is on.Name me 5 famous people from Chester,or I will stake my claim as leader of the revolution and Imperial Emporer Cavmad will become plain,ordinary Mr Cavmad
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Name me 5 famous people from Barnsley?, this is a county based thing, although i challenge anyone too say Chester is not a beautiful city
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to be out of the small town i'm from but i do miss the hills. Manchester is rubbish for mountain biking! As for famous people according to my dad the bloke who invented road cats eyes is from my old town...

:wink:
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

artic-steel wrote:Name me 5 famous people from Barnsley?, this is a county based thing, although i challenge anyone too say Chester is not a beautiful city
I asked the question first.Name me 5 famous people from Chester.When you have an anbswer in about 6 months,I will give you mine :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

If you asked for the 5 most beautiful cities in Britain, i guarantee Chester will be in there.

Russ Abbot is from Chester, as is the new James Bond don't know his name, Michael Owen, i think claims an England shirt because of Chester, Mansun are from Chester & of course Cavmad, thats 5
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

artic-steel wrote:If you asked for the 5 most beautiful cities in Britain, i guarantee Chester will be in there.

Russ Abbot is from Chester, as is the new James Bond don't know his name, Michael Owen, i think claims an England shirt because of Chester, Mansun are from Chester & of course Cavmad, thats 5
I cannot comment about the beauty of Cester,cos I have never been there,although I would like to visit 1 day.Who is this Mansun you speak of?Never heard of him/them,although I have heard of the famous/infamous Cavmad
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

I've heard of em, mid 90's indie band, werent bad actually, embrace are from my town aswell as paradise lost, thats 3 now for me! :lol:
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
Adam
BXpert

Post by Adam »

Canterbury, Rochester, Chatham (Honoury City for the Chavs)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 91' TGD for sale, 98k, lots of history. Very clean car. PM anyone who's interested, pics here.
http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3297
Previously Owned
1988 19DTR
1991 17TZD
1987 19GTI (Dads)
1992 17DTR (Mums)
Currently
1991 19TGD
1991 TZD Turbo (Breaking)
"Graculus" 1990 TGD Turbo (Restoring)
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

This thing has gone way off topic,but if you don't mind,I don't :D :D :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

No i don't, it keeps the thread alive! :lol:
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'd go for a TZD turbo if you can find one good enough.

£500 should get you a minter.

A GTi 8V is a good choice too though. You'll get 30mpg and excellent performance. Its a light car and with that 8V engine its great fun to drive. More fun than a turbo diesel.

If fuel economy wasnt an issue then i'd go with the GTi everytime. If you want a super reliable economical car then go with the TD.

I wouldnt bother with the 1.6 or 1.4 petrol engines, they're thirsty and slow. I'll probably get eaten alive for that comment but as this point in the cars life the values are no different so unless you're 17 and insurance is a problem go with the better spec'd, bigger engine models.

I wouldnt write off an N/A diesel though. 55-60mpg is something very tempting if performance isnt your bag.
Over and out from me
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Thanks Ian, that helps.

I have got a bit to learn i think. TD or GTI sounds good, i get about 30-34 MPG from the sapph if i dont go too mad. I'll have to have a go in a TD and see if its as brisk as i remember, theres a lot of shoots ending up down south so MPG has some importance!

Oh and insurance wasn't a prob till i moved to the city, Sapphs policy has just gone up 131 and thats in a good area, Camt imagine a GTI badge helping much... :cry:
Last edited by reanimation on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Damn, someone`s jumped in before me. Here goes anyway: actor Hugh Lloyd (a Chester supporter too, so obviously a top geezer), Michael Owen (who turned out to be a great footballer because his dad used to play for Chester), Terry Owen (Michael`s dad), Russ Abbot, The Duke of Westminster (is/was richest man in Britain), Mansun (suprisingly good local indie/Brit band, though sadly now folded), two out of 3 members of K-Klass (hit song with Rhythm Is A Mystery), John Douglas (may have his exact name wrong sorry) who was one of the most prominent architects in British history, the new James Bond, Keith `Orville` Harris, someone who used to be on The Comedians many years ago whose name has escaped me and most importantly of all-ME*! (*though I wasn`t born round here*).
Right BB, you better get used to bowing for when I take over.
Your challenge in the meanwhile is to tell me five credible reasons why anyone would want to visit Barnsley..... :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

reanimation wrote:
Kitch wrote:I'll have a near mint 16v for sale soon.

If you're making vids of cars, the camara car will need to keep up :wink:
Hi,

As we speak, I'm skint! :oops:

Doesnt mean i cant sell something though or balg a couple squid somehow!!! Id certainly be interested, if i could afford it. why are you gonna sell it? and when?

What do GTI's do to the gallon on average normal driving (long dist @ motorway speeds and odd commute here and there)?

also anyone know the insurance group?
I've got two 16v's, one is mine and one is a car I've taken on to repair. It will be ready soon and theres a thread showing it called Project 16v etc in this forum.
Not sure on GTi (8v)'s economy, but the 16v is thirsty when you keep driving at 5-7k rpm, which is very easy! But I'm getting about 37mpg on a good motorway run and it can drop very low if you're hacking it about in town - its good for the performance. Does 0-60 in about 7.5 secs and its not hard to get the speedo showing 140mph, although most overread by between 5 and 10mph like most BX's.

The 19GTi (8v) is grp 13 I think, the 16v is grp 15. If you get a ph1 16v, its called a GTi 16v and if its a ph2 like mine, its just "BX 16 valve" which the insurance companies have great trouble understanding and usually charge the same as a GTi Hurricane :? Still....its cheaper :lol:

Other than that I'd avoid 1.6's. They're a bit gutless and thirsty for what they are. The TU engined 1.4 is a better than most would believe though I reckon. They're not bad fun at all but no more economic than a 1.6 when you drive em harder. 1.9 carb is surprisingly good on fuel if you drive lightly, but can neck it if you start ragging it. They're not quick either, but brisk enough to keep up in modern traffic.
Avoid N/A 1.8 diesel, badged the 17RD or TGD. They're very lethargic to drive. 1.9 N/A diesel is good if you get the later engine, oval ports I think? I had a 1989 estate which went fairly well for what it was but I rarely saw the economy everyone raves about. The TD is quicker and slightly more refined in my opinion. I imagine economy is about the same but they're more prone to head gasket failure with age than the regular diesels.

Overall a BX is a fairly reliable car if its properly looked after. So any model will suit, but I'd go with a 16v because

A) Life is too short
B) When you're not filming you can drive with your hair on fire around the countryside with a big smile on your face.
C) Value. The 16v is the most sought after BX generally, either by enthusiasts or for people wanting the engine to put in a 205 GTi etc. Good ones aren't depreciating anymore and they're not hard to sell. So you bail out again if you don't like it and probably not lose any money. Similar stories with TD's and good diesels too, just with slightly smaller money figures and less chance of actually making money.
Only problem is a good one will cost more initially.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)