1.9 turbo diesels

Anything about BXs
bxrider

1.9 turbo diesels

Post by bxrider »

hi i'm a new member..........and came across your site,what concerned me was on your main page there isnt any mention of 1.9 turbo diesels,now i know these exsist as i have owned several,mind all have been around the j or k reg mark and some of them were estate cars,and before you go telling someopne must have put turbo engines in them ,let me tell you about something that happened to me.

i bought a 1.9 TZD turbo diesel,and tried to get it insured and the insurance companies kept telling me it was a n/a 1.9,and wouldn't accept it was a turbo diesel,so i went to a local citreon dealer ,give them the chassis number and asked them if they could confirm that this car was built with that particular engine and it was the original engine,and this isnt the first time i've had to do that with a BX,i had a 1.7 n/a they insisted was a 1.7 turbo :roll:
M

Post by M »

Its entirely possible some 1.9TD units made it as stock into the BX, esp around the changeover year to the Xantia, though I thoughttheses were most likelyto be estates. But trying to get Citroen to give any information out on this is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

AFAIK all 1.9TD cars we have come across so far have been home conversions. But, if you can post some photos of your car, engine and VIN & Engine numbers it would be a first for us if it was a factory saloon with a 1.9TD.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Heard the rumours but never actually seen a `real` 1.9TD. Most people would concur with Marty that if they were made they would have been on very late ones. I`d imagine if you have owned a `J` plater it must have been a `92 (made) one?
Have you still got the 1.9TD? It`d be a real show stopper if you have as I bet a lot of people would like to see it, myself included. I have an `imitation` one as do Stewart (Oily) and Vanny, though they were smart enough to create their own where as mine was bought with lump already fitted.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

For it to be a genuine 1.9TD it would have to have been made up from bits at the end of production. It certainly would not be J plate - probably L or M and it will certainly be an estate as these were made for a year or so after hatchback production ceased.

Not difficult to slip a 1.9TD block in and use all 1.7 bits and ancilliaries - but this means using everything like end plates - to get the alternator and injection pump in the right place. (1.9D ZX looks different and has room for an enormous alternator that will not fit on a BX TD.)
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hi guys, theres no need to swap fuel pumps or end plates, just the alternator mounting bracket (depending on donor car) My BX has the fanless enormous alternator too and theres still room :) HP Pump drive is the only real hassle.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Unless of course you fit a Xantia pump and plumbing which is rather easy to do! All in all there is very little effort to fit the correct donor 1.9td into the BX, but its so much more fun if you try to fit a not so suitable donor!

As for the existence of a 1.9td BX, while there are SOME 1.9td estates supposedly in existence in the UK i am only aware of a small collection of 1.9td saloons having existed on the continent. But i guess if they exist then it is more than possible that there should be some 1.9td saloons in the UK.

Every 1.9TD i have seen is either a 1.7td or 1.9na or a retro fit (seems to be a growing number of them!), and its not just BX's that have the mistaken size issue. I have a couple of mates with 405 estates, one believed when first purchased that his car was a 1.9td it wasnt until a long arguement before he went and looked on the log book to find it was a 1.7td. The second had a 1.9td that he was convinced was a 1.7td, and on the log book it said it was a 1.9 however inspection of the engine code on the block and the markings on the head it was indeed a 1.7, seems the engine had been replaced at some point!

Bloody strange what some people will do! I'd have to see it for myself to believe a factory fit 1.9td BX, but there out there im sure!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I have spent a number of years looking into this and would state categorically that there is no such thing as a factory 1.9 turbodiesel.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I agree with Tom, Citroen never sold the 1.9TD.

I'm sure though that some BX loving Citroen employees MUST have created a few 1.9TD's for fun.

We've had various heated (and sometimes violent :evil: ) debates about the existance of the 1.9TD's but we all concur that they were never sold.
Over and out from me
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

They never made the 1.9TD AFAIK. I guess last of the run cars might have had the 1.9's in if they still had bodywork and mechanics to use up or something? As Jeremy said they'd be like L's and M regs though.
All TD's were 1769cc XUD7TE.....a 1.8 turbo version of the N/A 1.8 which was badged as a 17 for some reason. Probably cos 1.8 and 1.9 are too similar.

But Citroen have never listed a 1.9TD engine in the BX, only the N/A. The ZX was the first Citroen to use that engine, the BX the last to use the 1.8TD.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Told! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Hhmm, I'm aware of a 19TD 'M' plate venetian red bx estate, one owner from new (a vicar (mad ginger hair, likes his notorbikes!)). I know it's the original engine but now I wonder if it is a 19 or a confused 17?? Next time I see the rev I'll ask him for a ganders at his log book.......
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

With respect to some who remain convinced that there are some `real` ones out there you only have to look at the amount that turn up on eBay listed as 1.9TD`s only to find they are actually n/a engines.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think that impressive looking black plenum chamber and curly manifold tubing on the 1.9D confuses some people who hope its an intercooler.

Its not much use though - as spanners keep slipping off it!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Jeremy is probably right, whilst searching for my TZD I looked at a couple of cars badged TZD with the big plastic chamber on top of the motor and their owners were convinced they had turbochargers, a peep under the bonnet of the GTITD soon convinced them otherwise.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft