HI new member! What BX model would give me least hassle?

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

[quote="KitchAvoid N/A 1.8 diesel, badged the 17RD or TGD. They're very lethargic to drive.
[/quote]

I have to say I beg to differ there. Mat (Vanny`s mate, forgotten his user i.d sorry) will back that up too. The 1.7 n/a diesel I owned (and he now does) went really, really well and the economy was the best I`ve ever known. I don`t know about 55mpg but it would do 65pmg or more on a run. It was a seriously quick car for a non turbo.
I also once owned a 1.9 carb`d BX that went like an absolute rocket until I knackered the engine on it that is :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Oh yeah I can guess others have had different experiences, but you've got to consider the chap already has an MR2. Not a fast car really, but it will make a 17D BX feel like it has no horsepower! Or even the 19 carb. They're pokey at low revs, but they don't like revving.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

You are, of course, correct Kitch. It`s people`s personal experience which comes to light. Having never driven a 16V (but it won`t be too far away!) I`ve not experienced the power yet and after an MR2 a diesel may seem slow though I honestly think a good TZD would be a pleasant suprise.
In my limited experience of TZD`s it`s the need to change quickly and the apparant lack of long range through the lower gears that might count against one.
I`m hoping to get one good run out in my 1.9TD before it goes (looks like it will be for sale quite soon) to see what it`s like because I`m expecting a very quick car and fun to drive.
Who knows, if I get a quick cash injection I may be able to afford to keep it and run it alongside the 190E and the TXD estate?
I`ll hopefully know next week whether the 1.9 is going to be up for sale, Merc goes for brake work and MOT mid-end of week and it will all depend on the outcome of the MOT.
Vauxhall apologist.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Right BB, you better get used to bowing for when I take over.
Your challenge in the meanwhile is to tell me five credible reasons why anyone would want to visit Barnsley.....
1World famous Barnsley chop(Brooklands)
2.Cooper art Gallery(if you're into art)
3.Design centre(quite famous in these parts)
4.Barnsley Cricket club,proving ground for MrM.Parkinson,Sir Geoffery Boycott,MrH.D(Dickie) Bird
5.Wentworth Castle and gardens,as featured on the restoration thingy.
Also wonderful people,Barnsley market,Albert Hirst pork pies,black pudding,BFC etc,etc.
How's about Chester?
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

1) What?
2) What`s art?
3) Where?
4) Cricket`s a ponce`s game (lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance!)5) Fair enough.

I`ll go a couple better than 5: Chester:

1) One of, if not THE most beautiful and historic cities in Britain (not a common or garden town you`ll note :lol: ).

2) Chester Zoo.

3) The city walls.

4) The rows (a two tier shopping centre dating back hundreds of years)

5) The amphi theatre.

6) The river Dee.

7) Women love the place.

8) I love women ( :lol: )

9) Chester City F.C.

10) Loads and loads of boozers (some of which apparantly no longer require my custom!).

11) Grosvenor Park.

12) The Greyhound retail park where the rates are (or were) the highest in the entire UK including London.

13) It`s crammed with northeners.

14) Gorgeous birds wherever you look (not that I do, see above!).

15) Outstanding example of architecture everywhere.

Maybe we should do a cultural exchange one year? On a serious note if you`ve not been before you don`t know what you`re missing
Vauxhall apologist.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

OK then you northern chappies, how about Southampton? It's got................................................................................................................................................................................

OK, you win :roll:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Welcome to the fold.
These cars are old now and many of them will no longer have the magic carpet suspension that so attracts you. Don't assume that changing the spheres will completely restore the suspension --- there may be other expensive parts to replace such as the front struts. Buying one blind off eBay without trying it out first could end up in disappointment
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Baldbazza wrote:OK then you northern chappies, how about Southampton? It's got................................................................................................................................................................................

OK, you win :roll:
Craig David
Benny Hill
Drummer from Coldplay, dunno his name
Most of the band "Reef"
Scott Mills (went to my school...Radio 1 DJ)
My BX 16v.....its been on telly :lol:

erm, theres a few more but I can't remember them
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Back on topic. If you can stand low economy compared to diesels (and to be fair most other petrols!) I can recommend a 1990+ GTi auto. Lovely drive as Billy, Ian and Tim may well attest to.

But I am biased! :wink: :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

ellevie wrote:Welcome to the fold.
These cars are old now and many of them will no longer have the magic carpet suspension that so attracts you. Don't assume that changing the spheres will completely restore the suspension --- there may be other expensive parts to replace such as the front struts. Buying one blind off eBay without trying it out first could end up in disappointment
Bloody good point actually!

Didn't think of it, My mates keep suggesting an XM but they are also old, what else though Xantia?
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Oh no, now look whats happened!

this seemed to go for an acceptable price, i like the look of these. but are they better or worse, suppose i should expect a biased answer! Hardcore Sierra fans saw the Mondeo as a come down, but i (as an outsider) cant see any reason for these being any worse, same deal isnt it? 8-[

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-CITROEN-XANT ... 0011154228
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Good question! I PERSONALLY believe they aren`t as good as a BX but are probably a good buy right now as they`re heading quickly for banger status (no disrespect to Xantia owners).
The Sierra/Mondeo equation is probably a fair comparison to the BX/Xantia one: a Mondeo might be a newer, more modern, car but it doesn`t neccessarily mean they`re btter than a Sierra, ditto the BX and the Xantia.
For sure a top dollar premium condition BX would get you a far newer Xantia but would you get the same enjoyment from the slightly more sterile (dare I say bland?) Xant than you would the BX?
For the line of work that you are in I would recommend a BX everytime as not just a work`s tool but something you`d also get pleasure from too. I still think a decent TZD (turbo diesel) would be best option.
I have the 1.9 (n/a) diesel in estate form and you`re more than welcome to come and have a drive of it if you`re ever up this neck of the woods (Cheshire) should you wish so you can get a feel of the diesel engine. Not as quick as a turbo 1.7 I grant you but still enough poke to get you round.
Vauxhall apologist.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Kitch wrote:Craig David
Benny Hill
Fair enough
Kitch wrote:Drummer from Coldplay, dunno his name
Most of the band "Reef"
I'm far too much of an old fart to know what this refers to. Are they some sort of popular beat combo?
Kitch wrote: Scott Mills (went to my school...Radio 1 DJ)
My BX 16v.....its been on telly :lol:
Both from EASTLEIGH (note local politics coming into play here.....) :wink:
Kitch wrote:erm, theres a few more but I can't remember them
Also from EASTLEIGH (not Southampton!!!!!) are the Spitfire (first flew from Eastleigh Aerodrome - not Southampton Airport - Pah!), Gordon Keeble cars, Lord Nelson and Bulleid Pacific railway locos (different anorak!), and Colin Firth (Bridget Jones Diary etc) apparently went to school here (my old school 8) ). And for any old prog rockers, IQ come from just down the road.

Oops :oops:, what was the subject again?
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Thanks for the offer cavmad, it would certainly hep to try out a couple of BX's. :) Must admit i'm not inspired by the xantia's interior at all, as useful as it is and all. Its smooth lines have potential. Youre right though it is ideal to enjoy all you are forking out for, and cars zap all my cash at the moment! :oops:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`m about one mile from the M53 and about 3 miles from the M56 if you want to come and give it a blast. Manchester airport is about 25-30 minutes away.
Vauxhall apologist.