Aircon system on Ebay

Anything about BXs
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Aircon system on Ebay

Post by tom »

Having just bought another estate, I've come across an aircon system from a 16V on the thieves market. I have no doubt that I shall need time and patience to get all the bits serviced and working but I have done it before...
I have put in a substantial bid for the bits so If I am successful, the project car will be built without having to strip down Grolliffe which would then come up for sale around Christmas. I do so love it when a plan comes together... Damn! Wrong sitcom!
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

So much for not bidding against each other then. :o

Back to everyman for himself :(
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

You do realise that the condensor for a 16V is different to the ordinary BX condensor do you Tom?

It is a smaller surface area and I think possibly thicker and sits on the outside of the front upper crosssmember whereas the normal BX one fits behind it and is thinner and larger surface area.
I'm not sure about the model of the compressor.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Sorry Bernie. I had not realised that it was you bidding. I've just looked to find that Vanny has had a go as well. I don't suppose I'll be very popular if I win this, (no change there then,) but at least it will release a proper air conditioned car onto the market; one with a/c that actually works!
Alan, Thanks for that. I expect the condenser to be buggered anyway so I was going to use a Subaru one as you have suggested. I was interested in the pipes and evaporator together with the recirculator setup realising that the compressor will need a rebuild, the drier will need replacing, the TX valve will brobably be leaky and the condenser will be u/s! You still need to source all the bits, though, and this one I'd need the sump and spacer for anyway.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i gave up when i found its not a genuine original so temptation is lost! Though £20 was hardly a serious bid, it was to let the seller know i was serious, find you tend to get better responces that way!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I am "british_mongrel" on ebay - but don't bid all that often. I'm quite happy to tell anyone here that information, and it's useful to know what other people's IDs are. I'm also very happy to PM or PM'd by anyone else on the forum about an Ebay item.

As for "gentlemen's agreements", I have a different point of view. When it comes to buying and bidding low, are we perhaps following the example of the motor trade (exploitation of ignorance on the part of the punter/seller)? Is THAT gentlemanly behaviour (and what about the ladies, anyway, for that matter).

Ebay isn't a charity, nor are the Citroen/BX forums a cartel, and I am unlikely to treat them as such, unless I've made a very specific and individual agreement with somebody about bidding/not bidding, or about some other kind of mutual back-scratching. Ebay's one of the very few places where I actually agree with and approve of the description "free market". It works both ways, as it's normally fairly plain to see when someone's trying it on, from either side of the selling/buying fence.

By the way, I'm very happy to get involved with anyone here or elsewhere who needs a hand to collect/evaluate/transport/drive an Ebay purchase, or one advertised in another place , as I've done a few times with Tom in the past.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
M

Post by M »

I have a few ebay ID's - If Im bidding for Citroen bits / car bits I generally use MartyHopkirk(deceased).
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Post by bernie »

jonkw wrote:I am that Ebayer known as "Armadalegsf".

Not that it helps in this instance, but anyone wanting to buy a Merc C180 Classic Estate (my latest listing) knows where to come!!
I had guessed yours Jon by the 'gsf' bit and location 'Swindon'
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Well. I won it and the vendor has found a compatible sump, spacer and bolts so I have something to keep me busy in the long winter evenings. Once I have constructed the next air conditioned car, one will be up for sale, probably the blue one so there may soon be a chance of scoring an aircon BX that doesn't "need regassing"!
M

Post by M »

tom wrote:Once I have constructed the next air conditioned car, one will be up for sale, probably the blue one so there may soon be a chance of scoring an aircon BX that doesn't "need regassing"!
Would that be the estate?
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Yes. I shall put a new MOT on it first but I am not yet sure that I want to be bothered with fitting the aircon. WBM deserves more of my time and
The estate will come up well anyway so I might just chuck the system in the back and sell the lot as it is or it will burn up too many weekends for little reward. A good estate is worth about £500 and I don't see it being worth £900 with aircon (£100 for the kit and around £250 to rebuild regas, new drier and debug seems about right) so there is little incentive to do the work. There used to be a life beyond owning BXs!
M

Post by M »

tom wrote: There used to be a life beyond owning BXs!
NEVER - I'm sorry - this I just can't believe.... :shock:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Congratulations Tom,

Looks like I was bidding against you too...

Now a question - I have been offered a TZD Turbo with Air con, taxed to the end of the month, MOT till next year. All I know is that it is a good runner but a bit tatty and I am assumung the air con does not work. The guy wants £100 for it, and I think that is a good price as I plan to swap the heater/air con bits over to mine.

As I am trying to justify this to myself (and my better half!) does anybody else think this is a good deal?
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

JUST DO IT.