A BX weekend adventure - and rehabilitation of a style icon

Anything about BXs
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Frankly, I reckon that the TXD with the TGD rubbing strips and chromed grille is better looking but that turbodiesel engine and toybox wins it over for me.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

How about a TXD Turbo?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Kitch wrote:How about a TXD Turbo?
Should the opportunity arise my TXD n/a will be converted accordingly 8) ----^
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'm pretty sure it was an original model, along with the TGD Turbo. Don't think there was an RD Turbo though, pretty sure there wasn't.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote: Don't think there was an RD Turbo though, pretty sure there wasn't.
I've never seen or heard of an RD Turbo. Non listed in any of the broucheres I've got either so suspect you're right. Except mine, thats a RD turbo. But it also has a phase 2 body kit, monza interior and electric windows all round...... not that it left france like that......
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Using the Haynes difficulty rating how many spanners to convert to electric rear windows Chris?

Assuming one has the bits, which I do until SWMBO decides otherwise

:lol:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I'm sure there's an RD Turbo somewhere in Southampton - as I was surprised to see it. Hearing aid beige or cream if I recall correctly.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

ed4ferrets wrote:Using the Haynes difficulty rating how many spanners to convert to electric rear windows Chris?

Assuming one has the bits, which I do until SWMBO decides otherwise

:lol:
Haynes would prbably mark it 5 spanners, but what do they know? Nowt! :D
It's a very, very easy thing to do, assuming you have the wiring loom. If not I have one in stock! You'll need to remove the front seats and lift the back of the front carpet and front of the rear carpet. Unless your car is a base model theres a spare feed in the fusebox to attach live wire (mine (RD) didn't so I tacked it to the feed for the front windows, the earth bolts to the 10mm bolt under the front passenger seat. It takes less than two hours working at my pace (regular fag/beer breaks ~ale~ ))
Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

jeremy wrote:I'm sure there's an RD Turbo somewhere in Southampton - as I was surprised to see it. Hearing aid beige or cream if I recall correctly.
and I always thought it was vomit beige!
Go with gay pride venetian pink! You know it makes sense
Cheers
Chris G

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I think there was an RD turbo - as a forerunner of the TDG turbo, being essentially the same car. I don't think it was available for very long, as it became the TGD turbo within a few months.

If you believe revue technique, almost every possiblt combination of BX was sold in France - and the estate were all "Evasions" after a particular point.

By the way, apologies to Tom, my toy digital camera has not been co-operative so the "after" pictures remain unseen as yet. MOT tomorrow - wish me luck.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Its IVORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not beige, or cream, or off white.
Must deffend it, no one else does!

Is an turbo RD not a DTR? And i thought they did exist early on?
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Vanny wrote:
Is an turbo RD not a DTR? And i thought they did exist early on?
Er, no! an RD was I think one up from the base model. The DTR should have been aTRD but was renamed DTR cos it sounded like a turd! The TR is one up again from the RD. I forget what the "R" stood for but the "T" is tres or very. Hence the RD was "RANK" and the the TR "VERY RANK", for example!!

Cheers
Chris G

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

All turbo (except possibly some of the very last) BX have the word Turbo on the badge. T probably means Tres but causes loads of confusion - as after late 89 or early 90 they are all T's - TZD, TGD etc.

The only thing you can be sure of is that D means diesel!

My own estate is a DTR Turbo - from late 89, which then became a TZD Turbo and grew a few more toys as time went on.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

DLM, looks like you have got yourself a nice, straight car there. Well done!
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

jeremy wrote:All turbo (except possibly some of the very last) BX have the word Turbo on the badge. T probably means Tres but causes loads of confusion - as after late 89 or early 90 they are all T's - TZD, TGD etc.

The only thing you can be sure of is that D means diesel!

My own estate is a DTR Turbo - from late 89, which then became a TZD Turbo and grew a few more toys as time went on.
T definetly stands for tres and D is indeed diesel. When I visit my mate in hospital later I'll ask what the R means. He knows.
The TZD was tres zenith diesel, ie, it was the best specced diesel you could buy in britain.
Have no idea what the X was for in TXD. Perhaps tres xenaphobic diesel??? :twisted:
Cheers
Chris G