crappy earths

BX Tech talk
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

crappy earths

Post by RobC »

hello all

i have the common 'rear lights blinking while indicators are on' syndrome. also, the lights on the instrument panel dim in time with the indicators. i've cleaned up the earths behind the rear light clusters, but to no effect.

where else should i check?

ta :D
1991 Citroen BX 16v
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Earthing arrangements on these are tortuous. Try the big ribbon cable at the top left of the fusebox. It can come loose.
RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

thanks for the tip, will investigate!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

rob, if your wanting to boost the earths on the cra then its a good effort to change over the ones from the negative terminal tpo the chassis, negative terminal to the gearbox and the gearbox to the battery clamp!!
i did mine a couple of weeks ago and was suprised at how cheap a good earth cable is!!
that cable only cost me £7 from my local electric deisel testing type place! ( the thin flat one in the pic cost me £3.50!!) the others for the earth terminal to the chassis and cogbox are only 2-3quid each too! then you'll have a very good earth up front!!!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

blimey, i don't even have an earth cable going to my battery clamp... :!: are all BXs meant to have one :?:
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Rob,

If all fails, Try this tip, that's what I had to do to cure mine.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17632
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The earth to the battery clamp bolt is not a standard fixing. The problem with using that bolt is that the circuit is actually through its thread which is ok while it remains clean and the cable is securely clamped.

Better to drill the bodywork somewhere convenient and make a good connection there by cleaning away all the paint surrounding the hole, and then clamp the cable securely to the bodywork.

Its worth working out the earth circuit first. I can't remember but think it may go to the engine first then to the bodywork. If this is the case there's no point in adding straps if the supply to the engine is poor without improving that first.

Having made a new connection to the body its a good idea to paint it. Ordinary paint (gloss) will do as its only there to keep the moisture away from a metal to metal joint. Conductive paint probably won't protect so well and is outside the circuit.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

youshould be able to attatch the long earth strap to the main earth point behind the battery as its long enough!
i only replaced what was already there! interestingly both my old 8v 309 and this car have had the thin braided type earth cable on the cog box to battery clamp!
brian, have you soldered the cable to the bulb holder area??? couldnt quite see if it was soldered or not!! mine was a little iffy on there for its mot! but a quick scrape cleaned it up a treat and bright lights restored :D
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Timmo,

Yes that was indeed a soldered jount..

I did have my doubts at first if it would solder, after cleaning the solder flowed well..

Other designs of rear light clusters have copper circuits encased in plastic, these would be difficult to solder effectively I think..