Temp Gauge

BX Tech talk
meep
Confirmed BX'er

Post by meep »

One more question on this:

I've got a GTI instrument panel, but the actual background bit seems to be continuous, does that mean I have to cut both backgrounds to put it into my TZD panel?

I'm quite happy with all the electrics, and swapping the bits behind the panels, but this bit is puzzling me!

Cheers

Iain
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Marty wrote:If you can get hold of a 205GTI binnacle, they fit straight in but the rev counter is wrong and you will need a flywheel sensor to make it work.
My understanding from previous postings is that if you take this option you would need to replace the GTi rev counter with a diesel one as they work on different principles.... or something like that :? . Can someone clarify please [-o<
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

ed4ferrets wrote:original remark self censored for self centred reasons :? :wink:
:D :D :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Iain - once you have the GTi binnacle apart, you should end up with the actual gauge part plus the clear plastic cover on the front. That cover comes off if you gently push the black tabs down that hold it to the actual guage part. Then all you have to do is undo the tiny nuts (6 of them) on the back of the temp gauges module and GENTLY push that module forward and out of the panel. All the units are modular - the rev counter, speedo, fuel/oil pressure, and temp gauges come out separately once you undo their mounting nuts/screws on the back.
You then do the same with your diesel panel - undo the nuts and push out the idiot light panel, insert the donor gauges, screw it back down and that part of it is done. Reclip the clear plastic cover on the front, do the simple electrical mod as per step 3 of the Tramontana site, refit it, test it to make sure all your lights, etc. are working and put everything back together.
As for the sender unit, I bought a new one from a Citroen dealer - here in Australia it cost me $29 or something - wasn't expensive at all.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I have just stripped down my dash and the water and oil temp gauges come out together.

I only wanted the water temp one so i've had to cut the oil temp decals off.

The sender unit cost me £9.27 from the local Citroen dealer (not picked it up yet though?!?!)
Over and out from me
meep
Confirmed BX'er

Post by meep »

ok, I've just stripped the GTI speedo unit, and the back panel is all in one piece :(

Has anyone come across one of these before, and successfully transplanted the temp guage into a diesel dash?

I've managed to gently prise the needle off the temp guage, and removed the guage itself, but it looks like I'd have to cut the front panel itself to get the scale, and somehow make that fit neatly with the turbo lights instead of the oil temp guage which is in that place.

Any bright ideas about how I can do this without making the resulting dash look a total mess?

Or does someone want to swap my GTI panel for one with the modular temp guage?

BTW what are the turbo lights supposed to do? I guess one if is for if it overheats?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

meep,
there are TWO manufacturesr of the panels. IIRC there are Veglia ones an Jaeger ones, the Jaeger ones are modular with 4 compartments (1/2 width compartment, left hand for fuel level and oil pressure/level, then full width for speedo, a full width for rev counter/analogure clock, and another 1/2 width for temp guages/over temp/over boost guage)

kind of like;

---------------------------------
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
----------------------------------

The Jagear ones are modular so you can just swap the individual sections, however it sounds like you have the Veglia type where the whole thing is a one piece affair, including the front 'picture' panel. I've only ever seen one of these myself and didn't investigate to see if it could be taken apart, but i suggest that you might want to try and find a Jaeger unit from a 16v or alike!

EDIT
there are two 'turbo' lights, one is for over boost (which basically tells you that you have put your foot down, seems a bit pointless to me), the other one which look slike a piece of exhaust with heat lines coming off it was, t the best of my knowledge, never used on any of the BX's! Strange, perhaps some fo the non UK cars had use for them, but the UK manaul simply states that it is not used!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Vanny wrote:... the other one which look slike a piece of exhaust with heat lines coming off it was, t the best of my knowledge, never used on any of the BX's! Strange, perhaps some fo the non UK cars had use for them, but the UK manaul simply states that it is not used!
Thats the hot cat warning lamp - not a turbo lamp.
Meant as a reminder to where you park the car - like over dry grass or weed.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Has anyone had the overboost warning light come on?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Has anyone had the overboost warning light come on?
No never cos I don't think there has ever been a boost (over) pressure sensor fitted to UK cars.

So like the oil over-temperature warning light its one of those red lights you will never see.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I've got a sensor on my DTR Turbo - pressure pipe from intercooler branches and goes to it - and its under the battery. Its never come on which is why I asked the question.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

my xantia engine has one, its just a glorified micro switch. Its not wired in as the car doesn't have the warning light so its never come on!
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

I've had a GTI temp gauge on my diesel for the last few months, but haven't had the time to add the sensor.

Could anybody be kind enough to confirm the part number for the sensor ? I was at Citroën on Friday and they couldn't see it on the parts diagram for the GTI (only temperature switches).
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

There are 2 downloadable parts lists on the Citroeny site

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Thanks, Jeremy, I did look at that and it doesn't seem clear to me. There are two "temperature probes", but they both only seem to have been fitted to the 16 TZI, not to the GTI.

Neither of the part numbers correspond to the one given by Anders earlier in this thread, which is why I am perplexed, and was hoping somebody who had actually bought one and done the job would know the score...