My very brief affair with a Mk1 is over!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

My very brief affair with a Mk1 is over!

Post by Kitch »

One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Kitch,

Hope that one finds a good home.
My first BX was a 16Trs manual that had been converted from auto and I think it's still my favourite model. Very comfortable car that can tend to grow on you. No firecracker of a performer but adequate for anyone wanting comfort and reliability and a great around town car.
Strangely enough, I know of two Trs autos that have sold out here in the past week or so and I drove one of them yesterday that had done around 230K klms and has had regular servicing for the past 5 years the previous owner had it and was a pleasure to drive.
One tip we've recently discovered with them FYI and for the information of your buyer, is that the ATF they were designed for was Dexron 2. However there is this misconception by a lot of service organisations that Dex2 and Dex3 is basically the same fluid with the Dex3 being the upgraded version. This is totally incorrect as they come from two different bases and when compared side by side exhibit entirely opposing characteristics, as a result, these boxes if run on Dex3 will self destruct within a short period particularly if the ATF isn't changed regularly. Regular changes even on the Dex3 will increase the life mainly due to draining the contaminents created by Dex3 useage.
Symptoms for any box that has been run on Dex3 is snatchy changes and dropping into higher gears sooner as well as a habit of getting into "no mans land" by swapping between 3 & 4th or 2nd and 3rd at a certain rev range. Draining the ATF a couple of times in quick succesion and swapping across to the Dex2 seems to sort it without any nasty side effects.
ZF and most of the oil companies agree on the Dex2 info with one Oil company being an exception who seem to not recognise the physical and performance differences between the two.
I understand that Dex3 was an Industrial fluid and GM and Ford "back engineered" theur transmissions to suit the fluid as opposed to normal procedures where the fluid is developed for a certain type of system. Used in the correctstyle of transmission, Dex3 is a brilliant fluid, but these ZF boxes operate on a different set of principles and in this case it's detrimental to the box.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Yeah I'd heard about the gearbox fluid problem. Luckily this one seems fine. Kickdown works as it should too.

I've loved these from the age of 7! My dad used to have a 1983 Red 16TRS manual. We had it for ages and it was part of the family.

Till some nurse in an arsecourt wrote it off!

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Doesn't look like it will find a new home at this rate :(

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Hiya, I was about to bid on your car - I'm the one who emailed asking about rear seatbelts. Hope it went to a good home! Just for curiosity's sake, would you mind telling me what you got for it? I'm in the market for a BX and it would help me get a fix on the going rate.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Hi. Got my £100 back. I got offered the money before it ended, but collection was agreed right away and I needed the space.

Thanks anyway.