GSA fans look in!

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

GSA fans look in!

Post by cavmad »

Thought this may be of interest to GSA fans. Found in October`s `Classics Monthly` magazine.

Three Citroen fans and the last Citroen GSA registered in the UK are ready for the ScallyRally startline on 15 September.
David Marsden, Jon Clewer and Martin Voyle, who together make up TeamCRAFT, describe the rally from Calais to Madrid as a `banger event`-although their 1986 car is far from `banger` material having won The Best Working Car award at the Citroen car Club`s northern section rally in May."e`re aware of the significance of the car within the Citroen community and have made sure that all modifications are reversible," David said. "The GSA will return to the UK, whereas many competitors are scrapping their cars in Madrid at the end of the event. We couldn`t do that-we`ve got a concours winner here".
TeamCRAFT`s efforts will raise funds for several medical charities. the team also hope to display the car at the NEC show, with a chance for the public to sign the bonnet in return for a donation.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I really fancy doing that sort of thing in a Visa (GTi pleeze!) one day. Or in a Renault Gordini or some other little 'hot old hatch'...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I know David and The car who are doing the rally, top team, desereve to do well.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I should have added that I wish them well & nice to know some charities will benefit out of it.
Vauxhall apologist.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

It was great to see their efforts acknowledged at Wetherby with an award.Well done lads
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Is this the car we saw at the CCC national? It looked pretty solid - as much as I love GS/A's they're the last car I'd choose for an endurance event. Good luck though.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Ye of little faith! ;)

Chris Salter and I consider the GSA to be a good car for something like the London-Dakar rally in the "banger" category.

- Cheap
- Aircooled, robust, rev-happy engine - no radiator, no coolant, no water pump or belt
- No hydraulic belt to fail
- Usual Citroen benefits of very good ride comfort and all-round disc brakes
- Centre point steering, not deflected by bumps or stones. Suspension can be raised to clear obstacles

I think a well-sorted/serviced G would give no problems, although the driveshafts might be a weak point. I've heard you can get hold of beefed-up ones...

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I take all your points Mark, but I don't think anyone would deny the GS/A is a pretty damn fragile car. Nevertheless, I've done pretty mad things in them and very rarely been let down!

If you hear where those beefed up driveshafts come from, let me know - I still haven't got round to replacing Sally's but I would like them to last more than five years next time.