TXD smokes on warm startup

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

TXD smokes on warm startup

Post by ed4ferrets »

Minimal smoke when starting from cold but when restarting whilst engine is warm/hot, a load of light coloured smoke billows out after which it smokes like I do ..... passively.

Not sure if the smoke is white or blueish, why only do it under these conditions and should I be concerned?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

My guess is that it doesn't leap into life on all 4 cylinders - which sugests air in the fuel.

Alternatives may be that it needs heating.

If you have a Bosch pump check the leakoff pipes - if its a Roto-diesel - bad leakoff pipes will make it leak and smell but won't affect anything else.

How old are the injectors - could be they need overhauling/replacing?
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Mmm, it starts straight off and runs smoothly but now that you mention it there is sometimes a diesel fuel odour around but no visible sign of a leak. Also if unused for a few days I have to prime it. I have no idea of the age and condition of the injectors but it has a recent mot so assume emmisions within limit.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Look for the leaks first before thinking of anything expensive.

Do you have the black plastic fuel filter by the thermostat? If so the thermostat at the back on the left as you look at it can leak air in.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

That is the type of fuel filter I have and it's a Bosch pump too, I will check it out thanks Jeremy :wink: