Aircon system on Ebay

Anything about BXs
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

mat_fenwick wrote:Congratulations Tom,

Looks like I was bidding against you too...

Now a question - I have been offered a TZD Turbo with Air con, taxed to the end of the month, MOT till next year. All I know is that it is a good runner but a bit tatty and I am assumung the air con does not work. The guy wants £100 for it, and I think that is a good price as I plan to swap the heater/air con bits over to mine.

As I am trying to justify this to myself (and my better half!) does anybody else think this is a good deal?
SNATCH THE GUYS ARMS OFF! BARGAIN! :shock:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Just check that your BX has an air con shell (most late cars are configured in this way with blanking plates on the bulkheads for the recirculation system AFAIR). Even if it doesn't, still bite his arm off!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm decided...although I may need some help over the next weeks/months/years to fit it.

Will keep you posted.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

DLM wrote:Just check that your BX has an air con shell (most late cars are configured in this way with blanking plates on the bulkheads for the recirculation system AFAIR). Even if it doesn't, still bite his arm off!
That write up I did an Andyspares has all the info for a car without an air/con shell as we did one on a series one BX16V and ours didn't have the blank offs; we had to cut the firewall and weld the captive bolt heads into place, so it can be done regardless.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Bernie did his that way. If you follow Alan's advice, it will go ok and I have done one myself so the elelctrics can be taken as read, should you have problems.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree here but can't I just unplug the air con loom from the main loom on the donor car and use that. Or is it all togther with the main loom.

I have seen the posts you have written in the past on the subject and one question I had was:

Quoting Tom "Testing:
Switch ignition to position 1, switch on aircon.
Fans run slowly.
Clutch remains out until there is pressure in the system so if you are not yet gassed up, short pressure switch pins 1 and 2 and the
clutch comes in.
short pressure switch pins 3 and 4.
Fans now run fast.
Switch off aircon. Clutch drops out and fans stop.
That's it."

If the air con is turned on but not pressurised, both fans run slowly - wired in series? If air con is on and pressurised, the fans run full speed. Am I right?
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

No.
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

The test is to determine the correct logic of the operating system. The two switches are for underpressure and overpressure. That is why the first switch is bridged to check the clutch (to simulate Adequate pressure). The second switch, when bridged simulates overpressure, a condition where the fans are run at full speed. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks!

I have told the chap I will buy the car, although I'd better keep quiet about the location, in case someone goes round and offers more for it :)
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

That is always a risk! I suggest we start a new thread on this one. Be aware that BX cooling system electrics follow three patterns at least and that BX aircon follows at least two. Swapping looms can be done but you'd be better off with the help of a competent 'tron, knowledgeable in the ways of the electron to check as you go because you have a 95% chance of incompatibilities.