1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Call me mad!

Post by m_2975 »

Hi Guys,

Project "TZD Turbo-Sport" has begun.

Here's the idea:

-Take a BX16Valve with a good shell and Air Conditioning :lol: :lol:
-Pull the engine out and sell it for good aussie $$$ to a 205Mi16 "hoon"
-Get a UK BX TZD Turbo with a good engine and a good interior. Body can be sh*t, don't mind cause it'd be going to god anyway.
-Fill the boot with Diesel specific spares
-Bring the UK BX TZD Turbo to Australia
-Pull the Diesel engine out of the TZD T and rebuild it.
-Make the neccesary adjustments to fit the Air Conditioning compressor to the sump
-Install the TZD T engine in the BX 16 Valve shell
- Install bits of the TZD T Interior in
-Get it complied and register it
-DRIVE IT!!!!!!

What i'm doing now:

-Got to get information about the BX TZD Turdo sump (we don't have Diesels here so don't know about the sump). Initial browsing on Citroën's Laser reveals that the Diesel may actually take a 1.9Petrol sump. Can anyone verify this?

-To know what's on my shopping list I need to know if the Diesel will be able to use the same exhaust as the 16V if I chop out the cat converter(and exclude the manifold of course!). If not I would want to buy a new exhaust. Don't trust any metal that's been exposed to the UK climate.
Input here would be great.

-Does anyone have a TZD Turbo with factory airconditioning that I could get some photos of where the hoses are routed?

Will keep adding as I go but it's getting late and need to work tomorrow.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The sump should be a straight swap, the exhaust should probably fit too but the new fumes might confuse the cat :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Not quite. The turbo sump is pressed steel but the petrol sump fits. The spacer between the block and sump must be retained and the rungs cut out in order to clear the oil pump which is different on the Diesel engine. Otherwise, it is all plain sailing, as long as you have the Turbo downpipe which is different to the 16V.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Trying very hard to see the reason why you would do that, but its a free world :lol:

Sumps are the same AFAIK if it had air con. Most 16v's have the alloy sump with A/C mounts and spacer plate, which as Tom said you'll need. There is a model which doesn't need it, but I can't remember which one it was.
The diesel will have a different downpipe and front section, but the intermediate pipe backwards is the same on all models with the flange type fitting on the cross box.

Only problem is, Vanny and Chris Gould have already kinda done it! Vanny dropped a TD lump into a 16v that had a blown engine, and Chris has fitted a TD lump into a normal BX, tuned it and then fitted the 16v bodykit.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

and I've got the air-con to fit! I'll be letting vanny wire the thing in though, more than two wires and I get confused!!

You got home ok then kitch!?

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If you think the end result will be a 'Sport' in any shape or form you'll be very dissappointed I can assure you. Turbo diesel BX are nice to drive and go quite well but they still only have 90 BHP and except on things like 5th gear pull won't keep up with fairly modest 1.9 petrols.

OK you can wind up the boost - but Peugeot seem to have considered 1905 cc and 90 BHP the biggest they could go with an indirect injection engine and only 2 valves. 2.1's have 3 valves.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Michael - I've got the only TZD turbo diesel in Australia (I think) and other than some engine parts and the gearbox, everything else is available. They imported these cars into NZ, so you can get parts via there if needed - although they tend to be a bit pricey. One thing you need to consider as well is changing the gearbox - diesels had different gear ratios than petrols. FYI, I have a complete A/C system out of my wrecked 16V parts car which I'm 'thinking' of installing in the TZD - the only thing I'm missing is the alloy sump with the compressor mounting flanges on it. But it's a big job - I know from taking the 16V apart - don't fancy removing the whole dash to install the heater box with the evaporator in it...
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Theres pleanty of reasons to do it! Makes pretty mcuht he Best TD BX you can find! Also makes a cracking tow car, and with 160+lb/ft torque it makes a much better around town drive than any 16v! Oh, and it's not too hard to bump that 90bhp upto 130bhp with standard parts!

If you do want to go downt he air con route, then think about getting a 1.9td Xantia Aircon engine to go with the TZD, then you'll have a lot of problems covered!

Having only just fitted the exaporator unit under the dash, its an easy job! Took me three days, but then i did rewire alsorts and fitted a toad alarm (and its very buried in the wiring loom, certainly wont be coming out again). Got to remember there are only 8 bolts to get the dash out, and 6 of them are 10mm heads so not really the biggest things in the world!

The complexity of the aircon wiring is simply in the relay fed fans wiring, and even this is pretty easy to fit!

Above all else, it makes for one significantly refined drive, and much more appealing looks for the diesel! Oh, that and it's not too hard to do :D
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Thanks

Post by m_2975 »

Thanks guys.

I'm planning on bringing a complete parts car over here to Australia so things like the exhaust downpipe and wiring shouldn't be a problem.

I'm taking the Diesel engine and putting it in the 16V for many reasons.
First one being that the 16V shell will already have the air conditioning system fitted under the dash, making the only tricky bit getting the compressor on the sump. Does the TZD Turbo engine already have the a/c mounts on the sump?
Second the 16V shell will already have ABS fitted (as the only BX in Australia to have ABS was the 16V) meaning that this should be easy.
Third the 16V engine is worth a lot more than the 8V engine here and buying a 16V car isn't much more expensive than an 8V anyway meaning that I can recover some of my costs.

I don't expect the car to go like my 8V GTI does so calling it sport would only really be for it's looks.

I would be taking most of the parts from the diesel donor car anyway. The reason that I want to use an Australian shell is cause they are in a lot better nick and have the Air-Conditioning bits already fitted. Air Conditioning is a must for me as I use it all the time.
So therefore having the wrong parts like gearbox and downpipes won't be an issue.

I won't be taking the sump off the 16V to put on the diesel if I don't have to and if I need to change the sump on the diesel i'll get one off a wreck. I want to keep the 16V engine in one piece to sell it.

I WILL be choppping out the cat converter in the exhaust for the diesel engine but I will keep the 16V exhaust as it won't be that rusty or corroded.
Kitch, thanks for that advice. I'm glad that I won't have to send to the UK or NZ for an exhaust if I need one.

Vanny,
Any tips for giving the TD engine a bit more go on standard parts? Nothing too major but about 105HP would be nice.

----
All I need now is a rusty TZD Turbo with a good low mile engine and an uncracked black dashboard! To maintain reliability I plan to rebuild the engine from the ground up anyway. I want this to be as reliable as my GTI.

Anyone know where I might find one?

I spoke to the parts importer that I get my parts from and he said that he can order me a reconditioned TZD Turbo engine if I ever need one in the future.
That covers that!

----
Just a thought,
Could an Alloy Petrol block have the Diesel internals fitted to it? Just thinking for future in terms of parts being available, should I ever need a block.
Because there are no BX Diesels in Australia I have to cover all bases for the years to come to make sure that I won't have any problems.

Thanks Guys. Keep the comments, ideas and thoughts coming in as I am determined to actually do this!

The more information the better as I have never had anything to do with Diesel BX's.

Ask my anything about a BX GTI 8V or a 19GT though!
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

You'll also need the turbo diesel radiator - and if the car has more than 150,000 miles on it, strongly suggest you get a new rad and all new hoses as well. Just changed out my rad (149,000 miles) as it was plugged and the car was starting to overheat on hills and when working. There are some very expensive coolant hoses on the turbo diesel that run behind the engine and around the turbo to the heater tap and water pump outlet -if you are going to import the car - get these sent over as well (and I'll have a set too :) ). Hydraulic pump is different as it runs at a lower speed, so pulley diameter is different - but your import should have all this on it - also be prepared for some very rusty fittings on UK cars compared to our Aussie ones. When stripping my 16V parts car, I couldn't believe how easy things came apart - like hydraulic fittings out of height correctors, brake calipers, etc. Also would be a good idea to get new spheres shipped over with it - they are a fraction of the price in the UK.
Getting the car here would be the hard part, swapping the engines over will be a piece of cake... :wink: . The diesel comes with a stamped steel oil sump, so doesn't have the A/C brackets on it - unless you find one over there that had A/C fitted...rare though. So it would be a scrappies job and that's about all you would have to change.
Oh yes, make sure you get new cam belt tensioners, water pump and a belt on it before sticking back in the car - very expensive exercise when the belt lets go on one of these over here...ask me how I know :cry:
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

docchevron1472 wrote:and I've got the air-con to fit! I'll be letting vanny wire the thing in though, more than two wires and I get confused!!

You got home ok then kitch!?

Cheers
Chris G
Yeah she got us back fine! Didn't sound happy and the rear end constantly creaks, but the V5 came through for the ZX today, so that'll hopefully be taxed by the end of the week and the BX can have a break from intense service! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I noticed the creaks when you were moving her across the field.

Bit of hammering required! :D

Glad you got back ok.
I had a more sedate drive back than the way up, apart from burning a toilet 5 GT Turbo I never went over 90!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...