1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Car Tax

Post by MULLEY »

How exactly does the govt arrive at how much you should pay, is it solely on emissions or is combined with engine size?

If you could prove your car had lower emissions than what the govt rated your car at, could you payer a lower amount?

Sorry for these daft questions, i think that can of Carlsberg has altered my brain.....
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its all explained on the Govt web site - but emmissions bit only applies to relatively new cars (3 years old??) - and the figures are not the actual ones for your car but taken from a table of alleged test results.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Emmisions based car tax came into force on cars registered after March 2001 (Y reg onwards) so am sorry chaps if its anything but a 1.4 petrol you have to pay £175 a year no matter when it was registered. :cry:

Owen wants rid of his 14 Petrol so if you wat to pay less tax get it bought! :D
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

No surprise that the motorist gets shafted again, its a shame the govt doesnt do cheaper road tax for low mileage users, but that would do them out of cash.

Thanks guys for explaining the car tax system, doesnt sound right to me, but then again being an honest law abiding citizen no surprise we are paying the costs for all those txxt's out there without insurance & tax etc....

So the cost of putting my BX Gti just on the road is:

1. Road Tax = £175
2. MOT = £50
3. Insurance = £300

Total = £525 & thats assuming i dont drive the car, so add petrol, maintenance, servicing.

I wonder how much nicker the govt taps out of me on this car alone, my wife & me also have another main car as well, so christ knows, it must be shed loads. Time to get Labour out (not being political honest), any govt will do as long as it treats motorists better..... but which party???

Ignore my politics jibe as i dont want to get embroiled in any comeback, so if you post any, i will read but wont reply etc.. as life is too short to start disagreeing with others..., yup dont mention, sex, politics & i'm sure there was one more (was it pets?).

Cheers guys....
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

47p per litre in tax (diesel) last time I checked but almost certainly gone up since then. Also VAT on tyres and battery etc to be added and before you know it you may as well chuck your wages straight to them and walk instead.
I`ve no wish to be drwan into (or start) a political debate here but I personally believe all political parties are all the same when it comes to things like this and no-one is ever likely to declare we`re paying to much and then drastically reduce taxes etc.
Vauxhall apologist.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

I've certainly noticed no difference between any of 'em. Excuses differ but the motorist always gets hit. Easy target.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Of course the most effective way of avoiding Income tax is not to work, the tax on alcoholic beverages is also avoidabe - and home brew is untaxed . .
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

MULLEY wrote:No surprise that the motorist gets shafted again, ..............

my wife & me also have another main car as well,

Time to get Labour out (not being political honest), any govt will do as long as it treats motorists better..... but which party???

..., yup dont mention, sex, politics & i'm sure there was one more (was it pets?).

Cheers guys....
:D :D .....Its a lot easier for the government/police to shaft the law abiding motorist ...... you'll pay your taxes and your speeding fines .....and your parking fines ........non of the "Illegal Imigrunts" & "Asylum Seekers" do .........thats why this government or any other [Conservative? ...Liberal? .... :P ........Ha :D :D Ha :D .....wots yer choice? .....they all 5h1t in the same pot] .......will never actually force the motorist off the road ........the whole economy of the country would go t1ts up if they did.

Between us me & wifey pay 3 car taxes & 4 motorcycle taxes ........and insurance,petrol,tyres,maintainence,mot's etc :P ......Now c'mon ......somebody's gotta pay for this war in Iraq & Afganistan [which I did'nt want ........dunno 'bout you] .........

Hang on .......thats politics .........sod religion,sod politics,I'm into sex [are you doing it wrong?] ......I've got a dog [dont wanna argue about him though] .........and if yer into football I aint arguing 'bout that either ....

Terry
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Woops, looks like ive started something...... Mind u, it does make for good reading....
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Terry - at least these days you don't have to licence the dog! (Abolished 35 years ago?)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

jeremy wrote:Terry - at least these days you don't have to licence the dog! (Abolished 35 years ago?)
Oh dear, if anyone from the nu labour camp are reading this then expect dog licences to to be re-instated directley.... :roll:
Oh, that said since none of 'em can read those of us with dogs should be safe! :D
I reckon they are all as bad as eachother and should all be shot. :twisted:
I really think it would be great if every taxpaying, smoking, drinking, car driver in briatain stopped smoking, drinking and driving for a month, all at the same time. Of course it'll never happen but if it did the goverment would be on their knees.....

As for sex, I think it should be available on the NHS! It's been so long I cant remember how to do it anymore..... Although as with everything else in life I seem to remember you always had to open your wallet first.. even when you're married to 'em! :wink:
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Oh don't get me started! :twisted: :lol:

Anything over 1.6, like anything which can actually move itself effectively! :roll:

Worries me whats going to happen to big engined cars, in the name of 4x4's.

All paid for in the petrol!

For Gods sakes Tony stop telling us to take exercise, drive small cars slow, stop smoking!

The countrys losing its soul FFS, and the rest.

Rant over? :lol:

Anything they say its usually a disguise.

Back to the thread, discounts on new cars, cos its green to make a new car every 3 yeas obviously, anything bigger than 1.6, specially 2.0+ i recon will rise like hell! cant see classic free tax lasting either TB(cynically)H!

:oops:
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
rob pike

running costs

Post by rob pike »

Hi
For this very reason of running costs in the Uk for vehicles I found trying to run a car and a Motorbike on a pension darn near impossible so I emigrated to France where my BX costs €157 insurance and €50 MOT for two yrs, the French governement abolished road tax in 2000 and my 900cc
Motorbike €92 , No MOT , no tax and about 20 cents a litre cheaper for fuel
sorry lads I can affiord this .
Rob
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Yep! Who'd want to live in Britain anyway? I used to be a proud patriotic Englishman but this country has gone down the pan. The immigrants are welcome to it.
The French are better educated, cultured and more civilised than the English. It may not always have been so, and they still need to learn how to make a decent motor car but their way of life kills them off about ten years more slowly than ours. The Barbarians were those who had no Latin, thank God that the majority of British don't want to speak French!

This place ain't home any more. Merci bien France!
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

tom wrote:Yep! Who'd want to live in Britain anyway? I used to be a proud patriotic Englishman but this country has gone down the pan. The immigrants are welcome to it.
The French are better educated, cultured and more civilised than the English. It may not always have been so, and they still need to learn how to make a decent motor car but their way of life kills them off about ten years more slowly than ours. The Barbarians were those who had no Latin, thank God that the majority of British don't want to speak French!

This place ain't home any more. Merci bien France!
Bye Bye Tom,I'm sure we'll get at least 2 people to wave you off as you go.Adieu mon ami :D
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................