Urban driving

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Urban driving

Post by Philip Chidlow »

This evening I went for an errand in my BX through the heart of 30/40 mph urban traffic and I have to say, the GTi auto is so responsive (in a smooth sort of way) that, knowing the exact pressure required for kickdown plus a brilliant 0-20 time, there was little that could touch the nimble, relatively narrow, stable and quick little car. And it's, what? 15 years old this November, with 160k on it, near as. Who can complain?! I love my BX. :roll: :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I agree totally. I get to drive lots of 'modern' (ie bland euroboxes) and to this day I cant think of a car I'd rather drive than the BX.
Ok, I love driving my mates CX Turbo but for everyday use the
BX is king!
Thankfully I have the option of cheap to run and very rapid TD, or if I wana be a total hooligan I've got the valver.

Vive la BX!!!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Did I hear someone sayUrban Driving?
It's 70 miles from here to the nearest motorway. Its almost a narrow-lane rally route, - mountains, hills, fords, hidden dips, hairpins, Precipitous drops, sheep,log lorries and caravans. There are three - yes three - safe passing places. Yet the BX has proved the fastest, safest, most economical and comfortable car I've ever driven on this route. Say no more. :lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Gareth Wales wrote:Its almost a narrow-lane rally route, - mountains, hills, fords, hidden dips, hairpins, Precipitous drops, sheep,log lorries and caravans.
It makes me think it's such a shame Citroen failed to get a successful rally car out of the BX. what a wasted opportunity. OK the BX4TC is desirable now - but probably more as a curiosity than a serious cross country contender. Or am I wrong? :D
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

They haven't done so badly with the Xsara have they - looks like another WRC championship this year!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I concur, Philip. The Sharan thing I have is ok in it`s own right but by God it`s sterile and soul-less.
Gareth, the roads from here to your`s are indeed poor for overtaking. I used to leave about 6.30am to get a decent run up there before the school run/tractors/lorries and iirc the only half decent overtaking specs were just after the Llangollen turn off near Llandegla (and that was very risky), the bit after the bridge between Corwen and Bala turn off (A5 or A470?) and that bit of a straight after Bala lake.
I did find some more but they`re probably too dangerous to mention, especially in a 7.5 tonner loaded with chemicals :oops:
Personally speaking I find the faster BX`s nicer to drive, TZD and GTi models for example.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I regularly travel up in them there hills and find that the extra overtaking punch really helps the hooligan pass dawdling caravans and sunday drivers, I am finding the Xantia a bit quiet and sluggish though an ideal commuter. Ita a lot less nippy than the BX
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Bringing my newly aquired TZD home on sunday Mr Fearn kindly piloted my Beetle 1.6 back for me, and couldnt keep up, not bad for a car costing £42!, the beetles worth £16000!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

:D I do like to see a BX demonstrating it's prowess! Ooh err. Mind you I bet the Beetle weighs half a ton more!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

What I love is the way modern car drivers will spot you, say, where a road turns into a dual carrigeway, and they indicate to overtake as they think its a slow car, and as they move into the right lane, they end up looking foolish as the light BX effortlessly disapears into the distance :D I think its their manhood that is threatened , as they have spent over £10000 on a flash new car, and need to know that their taste and choice of car is the best. How wrong they are lol. I found that even on a motorway, a dap of the accelerator in 5th is enough to get in the lane you want even when there is a BMW behind you moving into the lane before you, and a change down into 4th will see off the most agressive of Mondeo driving reps. I hate to think what id be like if I had a 16 Valve :D

Seriously though, I agree with Phil about Urban driving being the BX's forte. The cross country roads I took on my trip to Scotland showed the BX to be absolutely amazing. The gentle humps of Scotish roads, and the nicely weighted steering, made for a very rewarding yet relaxing drive. I have never driven a BX over such roads. With 3 people and loads of luggage, the humps were ironed out as the car floated up and down through the whole range of wheel movement. It did feel extremely floaty, and occasionally I would hear a scream from the back as my rear passenger hit his head on the low roof when the soft suspention got caught out at te end of its travel :D Maybe this is what killed my spheres off!!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

adamskibx wrote:I would hear a scream from the back as my rear passenger hit his head on the low roof when the soft suspention got caught out at te end of its travel :D Maybe this is what killed my spheres off!!
Maybe a good case for the GTi spheres :D

Serioiusly, for good but firm ride quality you can't beat the GTi spheres, especially when navigating the motorway clover leafs as you also remain level well above the advisory speed limit. :D :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

adamskibx wrote: I hate to think what id be like if I had a 16 Valve :D
Like me.....I actually baited Merc and Jag drivers deliberately by going slower than they wanted to so they'd try and overtake. I think they all saddos.

But probably not as sad as me for making that much effort to make my point :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Drivers of certain cars will always rise to the bait. Before my Series 111 XJ6 I had a Scirrocco and so was very familiar with the failings of Golf Gti's (brakes and steering - nothing minor) - and the trick was to drive along at about the 60 mph speed limit on the approach to a roundabout with one of these guys in his GTi behind. Sure enough every time a roundabout came in view they'd roar past - so just follow them in in the Jag, taking the other lane from them, brake hard and late and put it in 2nd. Nearly out, foot on the floor and steer round the Golf and come out abead and lift off at exactly 60 - and they'd come straight past again.

ZX is fun too - as its a 1.9D it won't accelerate past much more than a push bike - but you don't have to lift off on roundabouts, or some speed humps (its so wide it will straddle some) or other places people expect you to.
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

I have to admit I do love piloting my TGE, being just a BX14 its not lightning quick, but its quicker than most people think, so when they started edging up behind, indicators on, approaching a duel carriage way I can suprise them (a little)..around 40 mpg is a bonus too! The ride is fantastic and I'll miss that when I change to something else, the handling is pretty sharp too..although not as sharp as my departed ZX, you can really throw that about. Infact, the only downside I can see about driving the BX is impact protection, being so lightweight I can't see it performing that well in a crash.
2007 Sportka
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Owen, you'd be surprised. It scored well in a 'government league table' for driver survival rates (that is involved in a collision resulting in driver injury). Scored 'average' in its class, beating the Mercedes 190, Pug 405, Renault 21, Toyota Carina, BMW 3-series ('93-00) and Ford Sierra amongst others. In fact the BX came out better than the Toyota RAV4 and the Vauxhall Carlton.

But just to be on the safe side, don't hit anything. Especially a 1991 Mercedes 'S' class. :lol: That scored safest... And I used to have one (miss it now! :cry: )