BX 16 TRS B regd.

Anything about BXs
stopford60

BX 16 TRS B regd.

Post by stopford60 »

Can anybody help to locate and/or supply an automatic transmission selector cable for the above vehicle? Must be new.

Stopford60
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Must be new :o

Do you know how much they cost. :?:

About 6 months ago someone asked me if I could get them one, Citroen dealers at Rotherham had the only one we could find on the shelf and they wouldn't part with it for less than £99 + vat, and that was to a fellow dealer.

Turned out there was nothing wrong with his cable, it was the linkage under the selector that had worn.
They think it's all over, it is now!
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

This seems to be quite a common problem, if it's the one I'm thinking of --- pull the gear lever back fully and suddenly it goes slack. This happened to me the first night I took delivery of my auto BX. There is a small ball and socket arrangement connecting the small lever on the gear box. When the rod/cable is in its most extended position, it's at its most flexible and the little socket pops off the ball. I tied mine together with several turns of string and it hasn't popped off since.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, check everything very carefully first, the cables are VERY long lived and robust. If you do need a new one PM me and I'll get a price (I can get one at cost price but even at cost, they aint cheap!).

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Currently having this problem with my BX automatic, I have pondered using some super strong adhesive (Araldite?) to bond the ball onto the socket. What do people think, likely to work or a silly idea?

With thanks to Ellevie for pointing me in the direction of this thread.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

When ball and socket joints fail its usually due to a combination of wear on the ball itself and on the neck of the cup. This means that somehow a means must be found holding the cup onto the ball - and I see someone has used string - I'd have a look and see if cable ties would achieve the same result.

The next thing to look at is why does it fall off in the first place. I see that these joints on the automatic selector come off at the eng of the travel - and this makes me wonder if the cable catches on something which makes it twist or pull apart. If this is the case then can this be eliminated and pervent further problems?

If the ball is worn it may be possible to purchase a new ball (The copy of the parts microfiche that I have shows the ball to be a separate part but the picture looks more like a plate. (95 605 688 - RP 2445 16)

Looking at the diagrams makes me wonder why a ball and socket joint is used at all and if it would respond to the careful fitting of a nut and bolt. (by careful I'd be looking at passing the bolt through the ball first so that it ran on the smooth shaft - then fitting it to the lever with a nut inside so that it formed a rigid stud rather than twisting as the lever was moved.)
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

When my '84 16TRS manual had covered 200,000 it suffered the same thing with those little plastic balls popping off on the gear select on the manual box ... swapped with ones of a lower mileage scrapper, which in those days was easy to find ....
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

jeremy wrote:When ball and socket joints fail its usually due to a combination of wear on the ball itself and on the neck of the cup. This means that somehow a means must be found holding the cup onto the ball - and I see someone has used string - I'd have a look and see if cable ties would achieve the same result.

The next thing to look at is why does it fall off in the first place. I see that these joints on the automatic selector come off at the eng of the travel - and this makes me wonder if the cable catches on something which makes it twist or pull apart. If this is the case then can this be eliminated and pervent further problems?

If the ball is worn it may be possible to purchase a new ball (The copy of the parts microfiche that I have shows the ball to be a separate part but the picture looks more like a plate. (95 605 688 - RP 2445 16)

Looking at the diagrams makes me wonder why a ball and socket joint is used at all and if it would respond to the careful fitting of a nut and bolt. (by careful I'd be looking at passing the bolt through the ball first so that it ran on the smooth shaft - then fitting it to the lever with a nut inside so that it formed a rigid stud rather than twisting as the lever was moved.)
Thanks Jeremy. From looking at the part(s) it does look a relatively simple job and I had thought that the ball was worn. As you have said it only happens when on it`s longest travel which is when the gearbox is put into `park` and I`ve only noticed this when coming back to the car after having turned the engine off. It`s a very easy to thing to sort out when it happens (pop the bonnet, move the ball slightly and push back on) but of course it`s a nuisance and seems to happen more when I`m not in my works clothes so I get covered in muck!
I`ll whip to the local Citroen garage this morning and see if they can order me one in asap, as I say fitting doesn`t look too bad a job at all.
Thanks once again.
Vauxhall apologist.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

page 98, item 7, in BX parts list http://rammstein.dfmk.hu/~xminfo/bx2_19.pdf

96 059 996
RP 2454A4
RP 2454A0

£4.52 + VAT
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks David, the local Citroen dealership were supposed to be phoning me back yesterday but never did. Armed with the part numbers you`ve supplied I will hopefully get somewhere this time.

Jeremy, thanks for the part number you supplied. Alas the dealers didn`t recognise it, though I think they have a couple of new members of staff who aren`t that well trained just yet.
Vauxhall apologist.