bx seats

Anything about BXs
rob pike

bx seats

Post by rob pike »

Hi
I shall be coming to England from France where I live to visit my kids/ grandkids with my BX TD and as it has high mileage the seats are worn and naturally gives me back ache, question , what BX has seats with lumber adjust and a bit plusher than mine and I wonder wether right hook seats will fit left hook , I can`t find decent seats here . I had an interesting problem , after dropping my daughter off at La Rochelle airport , about 150 mile round trip , the following day my TD would`nt start , only when I purged out air from the plunger effort would it go and went fine for a week and then after non use a couple for days , same problem and continued to give trouble, my local garagist said impurities in the fuel but did`nt cure it , after two more weeks it cured itself and has been fine eversince, touch wood. anyone had the same problem and will it return during my long trip to Blighty.
Rob
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

AFAIK the only BX seats that lumber support were 16v (not leather) seats.
They will fit a LHD car but you'll need to swap the seat belt buckles over obviousley.

As for the air in fuel issue, check the pipes very carefully, you could replace a length with clear plastic to see if any air bubbles are getting into the pump.

It could just be cos it's a bx and quirky!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

This TD - a French TD I guess- does it have tweed-trim seats or velour-trim?

I suspect if it may have the wool-trim seats which are very comfortable (in my humble opinion), and great if re-trimmed in another material, but on which the original seat material is not that long-lasting. The foam in the cushions too can get a bit tired, but could be augmented or replaced (BXs are now old cars, after all). If it's a basic TD French model then it may even have the dreaded scratchy plastic seat material that went on lower-spec cars here - some early Mk2 RD seats are just diabolical in this respect.

In this pattern, any seats from most mark 2 UK models with a T or GT at the start of the model code will have seat height and rake adjustment for passenger and driver (or reverse, if you fit them to an lhd car). This may not hold true for TGD, TGS models, or TXs though.

Pre-89 T non-GT models had mainly the wooltrim, but after that they were velour-trim, with the more "sporty" - i.e. firmer - bolstering and velour. If the lumbar adjustment you're looking for is of the "pump it up" type, then non BX I've owned has ever had one, but the 16v may (I've never had one so couldn't tell you). The early TD model in the UK had a half-way house - velour-trim seats but seats that aren't so aggressively bolstered as the later ones.

If, from this, you decide you want the velour-trim seats, then the 16RS Pilot special edition model on ebay at the moment has these seats, and may well go for less than a diesel.

Hope this is some help.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

Advantages to buying seats in UK,

1. There will be more higher spec seats available here,
only the 16V had lumber on the drivers side, but this wont help the driver much on a left hooker!

2. The UK passenger side will be your drivers side, so it will have considerably less wear than a similar milage French drivers side seat.

Mike
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

There is a complete interior for sale on ebay in the UK - looks in vgc as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-GTi-Co ... dZViewItem
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

A rhd 16v seat (for lumbar wotsit) would need to have a seatbelt anchor mounting tube welded into place for lhd use - it'll be on the wrong side.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I'm not sure it would, the set of monza seats in my TD have a tube either side of the seat, all you gota do is change the plastic trims and swap the buckle over. It looks proper, not like it's been done by someone as a mod????

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

First one I've ever heard of then, but I guess if it's a monza pattern then they're 16v seats. Never taken a good look at one.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Quite so mate. They came out of a crashed P1 16valve. I had a look when I got to work and they defo have the ability to "swap" sides.

I cant see that anyone would have modded them, they were the original seats from the car they came out of and it looks too good to be a mod?

Cheers
Chris G

rob pike

BX seats

Post by rob pike »

Hi
Thanks for all the reaction to my question of finding seats in the UK for my French BX , the question of seat belts anchors , it appears they are not attached to the seats at all . My son lives near Chandlers Ford Southampton way, so we are going to do a bin dive in Silverlake at Botley ,
so if you see a French registered Beeks with odd coloured seats give me a wave , or miss as the case may be I hav`nt driven in England for some years . By the way the BX is know as Beeks here or Bee Eeks.
Rob
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

To be honest I wouldn't get your hopes up with Silverlake. They usually just flatten BX's straight away. They had a silver TZD Turbo estate in there....someone had the roof bars off it then it went straight into the crusher about a day later.

It's fairly slim pickings around here. Could always give Dorys a call in Sway and see what they're breaking.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Another point about Silverlake - they are by far THE most expensive breakers I've ever come across. I've used them, but only as a last-ditch alternative. VAT on the VAT and so on.

I did try a breakers in Colden Commen near Wichester lately that has proved productive in the past, but the only BX they've had in there in the last few months was the last one I plundered. If I hear of any coming up in South Hampshire I'll post.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Bad Timing...?

Post by BX Bandit »

Hi Rob,
I'm not sure if this will help but I have my old TGD spec (I think thats the grey wool trim) seats that you could have for nowt. However, I don't have a GB drivers side seat as its just knackered. The passenger (LH drivers) is ok though as its rarely been sat in. Let me know if you're interested - I am reluctant to bin the seats but I have no room in my garage.

As an alternative, I sat in my mates Pug 306 which had cloth/leather trim with lumber support. I have no idea if they will fit a BX - perhaps some of the chaps on the forum may know. Anyway, I remember thinking at the time they would be a decent set if they fit. There would be far more around than BX seats...
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
rob pike

BX seats

Post by rob pike »

to BX Bandit
thanks for the offer but I fitted a couple of cheap covers and layed foam underneath to pack out the wear and then bought an orthapedic lumber support cover and it worked out well on my trip back to France .
When you get to my age after nearly 40 years in a truck you have to go to any extremes to alleviate back pain . my Rover 827 which I still have but is parked up now has beautiful seats but too big to fit .
Anyone despairate for a 1990 Rover 827 V6 .
Rob
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: BX seats

Post by Way2go »

rob pike wrote: my Rover 827 which I still have but is parked up now has beautiful seats but too big to fit .
Anyone despairate for a 1990 Rover 827 V6 .
Rob
Sounds like Tim Leech should be the man to encourage. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto