This might be a silly question but...

Anything about BXs
saint gaz
BXpert

This might be a silly question but...

Post by saint gaz »

Will it matter what type of paint I paint the metal part of a wheel with? I have had to put the spare on this morning as I have a puncture. I dont think the spare has been off in 5-6 years apart from every now and again when I check the pressure. As the metal has obviously been exposed to the elements it could do with a cleen up and a lick of paint. Would just ordinary exterior house paint do?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The secret is in the priming - and a good quality primer will ensure that metal stays rust free for longer.

Something like Holts Zinc rich (if you can ever stir it properly) will do a good job

The special metal paints like Hammerite and Hammerite smooth will last well - but ordinary household paint will do a good job as a top coat as well so long as you like magnolia.

The secret is to get full coverage and often when you paint it's difficult to get good coverage. Try painting on a relatively thin coat and don't worry what it looks like - then waiting a while until iys virtually dry. test with the back of your finger - should feel sticky but NO paint stains your skin - now repaint with a much thicker coat which you'll find goes on beautifully and covers well. (Covered a piece of woodwork with a white primer with black paint the other day in one using this method - in a hurry and it worked!)

As usual the secret is in the boring bits - like rubbing down.
saint gaz
BXpert

Post by saint gaz »

Thanks Jeremy i think i will look at the bracket that holds the wheel as well, over the weekend. might have some hammerite in the garage (lime green if i recal :lol: )

It was one of those times when you doubt your own mind as to what you can and cant get away with.
:oops: