Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Help! I want an MOT!

Post by Vanny »

Hi List folks!

following the valiant efforts of oilyspanner and fast and furryous a weekend ago (which i still need to post about!) i now have a nearly working car, BUT it's not going to pass an MOT!

1) the rear anti roll bar is missing a bolt out of the O/S bracket, not been under enough to see if its snapped or just missing but either way i need a reaplcement bolt and possibly a miracle!

2) After the conversion to the 1.7TD im still using the original 1.9rd rad, but i need a proper 1.7TD rad along with the plastic bit that holds the top in place! not an MOTable offence, but annoying all the same!

3) the rear exhaust hanger has come off the car! Not a major fault in its self but is it an MOT offence? It past last year without it!

4) The exhaust sounds funny and is a little leaky! It seems if i hold the exhaust up then it works much better is lessy noisy and leaky, so i assume that sorting out 3) will actually resolve the problem?

5) The engine is running rough as chips when first started! Seems to get better after a little running and getting some temp into it, but smokes and more often than not stalls when first run! I suspect the cold start advance to be at fault (has a noraml wax stat from the thermo housing and another big blob on the front with a pipe in and out), i think the dodgy fuel may also be a bit of a problem!

can anybody help with with any parts/advice/pointers in resolving these probelms so i can get the stupid think MOT'd! I'm hoping to go to an invite only Play Day with Citroen Fleet in Warwick on the 11th and need to be able to drive the car there!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Help! I want an MOT!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote: 5) The engine is running rough as chips when first started! Seems to get better after a little running and getting some temp into it, but smokes and more often than not stalls when first run! I suspect the cold start advance to be at fault (has a noraml wax stat from the thermo housing and another big blob on the front with a pipe in and out), i think the dodgy fuel may also be a bit of a problem!
Hey Vanny.

Do remember that the engine hasn't been in regular use for a goodly long time, so it's quite possible that a road trip of some distance will clear it out, and help it's starting no end. I also get the feeling that there's still some air being sucked in somewhere, most likely the inlet to the injection pump.
The cold start advance on that engine is indeed dead, but it shouldn't matter, as it's been dead for about 8 years, and it used to run just fine.
When I last ran the engine here, it was reasonably smoke-free, so I think it's either the crud in your fuel, or the need for an italian tune-up!

The exhaust bracket being missing isn't necessarily an MOT fail, as the only stipulation is that it must be "secure". However, the leak IS and MOT fail, and if the MOT place is any good they will probably notice it.
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hey Vanny
Have a look in your accessory shop for some "Dry Fuel" I think its mostly methanol but it makes diesel and water miscible, other than that the smoking will probably stop with a few miles, The ARB fastening is screwed into the rear arm, they make a racket if loose, should be same as a Xant though, my motor passed the MOT with the rear exhaust rubber not pushed on to the bit that dropped off yours! I was under the ramp and spotted it while the tester was at the other end of the car :P
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft