Free BX Meteor or small parts - collect from Rome!

Anything about BXs
Khyber

Free BX Meteor or small parts - collect from Rome!

Post by Khyber »

OK, this is not your normal kind of post ...

Myself & a friend are taking part in this years Home2Rome rally in our Citroen BX (see - http://www.home2rome.com/index.esp for details of the rally). The trip pretty much consists of teams in modest cars driving from Calais to Rome raising some money for charity & having a laugh along the way.

Now to some here it may seem sacrilege taking a BX in full working order, but we thought the challenge would be a good one as no BX has made it to the end before...

The flip side to that is that if/when we get to Rome we will be leaving the car there.

Now I thought I would offer a free car on here if anyone wants to collect it - probably a long shot I know. Alternatively if there are any "small parts" (as we are flying back) which people would like bringing back to cover the scrapping cost of the car that may be arranged.

Otherwise I don't suppose there are any BX owners clubs in Italy who could take our car in Rome are there?

On another note, we are raisning money for Cancer Resaerch UK and have a justgiving website set up for donations, if any of you would like to support our bid to raise money, please see:

http://www.justgiving.com/home-2-rome

Well, that's about it, thankyou for looking.

Matt & Richard.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Good stuff. I checked out the H2R site. (I particularly like the idea of Staples2Naples lol!)

Your team, I presume? http://www.home2rome.com/h2r.esp?PG=t&tid=32
Bit of a lean on the BX! What's that?

1500 miles in 4 days. A reasonable BX should be happy doing that!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Best of luck lads, sounds like a bit of an endurance yet fun and worthwhile too.
If the worse comes to the worse and no-one can get the car from Italy for you maybe there will be a scrapyard over there who might even give you something for it? I have no relations or connections in Italy I`m afraid but someone may have?
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Best of luck chaps, its good to see the cars being used for a good cause.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

It will do it easy. Its not even that far.
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Why are you flying back chaps?
Khyber

Post by Khyber »

Yes, that's our team!

The lean was due to a grumbly strut, which has now (as of last night) been rectified using the wonderfully simple technique described on these pages...

Yes, we both think that the bx should be able to cope with the journey, but none seem to have made it yet in previous years! Still, we both know our way around cars, so minor problems shouldn't be an issue.

Reason for flying back? Driving a £100 car back from Rome to London would cost about twice the value of the car (assuming it gets there), as opposed to flights with BA at £50 each. Added to that we've both used up all our days off!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Khyber wrote:Driving a £100 car back from Rome to London would cost about twice the value of the car
But you could fill it up with wine, beer and stuff to help finance it :lol: :lol: :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Good Idea Phil!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Is it just the photo, or is the BX lopsided! It will be absolutely fine by the way. It must have been some seriously bad luck for others to have failed in the past. Just service it, keep it watered and oiled etc, take a few bottles of LHM and you are practically guranteed to make it. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Khyber

Post by Khyber »

adamskibx wrote:Is it just the photo, or is the BX lopsided!
It was lopsided, until Tuesday evening when we fixed the strut. It was absolutely solid with no movement at all - very uncomfortable to drive!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Oh I see, I missed that in your last posting, or didnt quite take it in. Ive never heard of one being that sticky! Did you rectify it just using the LHM lube method? That would be my only concern if I were taking this car a long way I think. If it plays up anymore, im sure someone here will have a spare strut lying round if you needed it before you go.
Khyber

Post by Khyber »

Yes, ten minutes work, used the LHM lube method twice and it's now perfect! I've got to admit, we were amazed at how easily the rubber pipes slid off - I was expecting to need some serious "judicious manipulation" as the haynes crowd like to say. Hats off to the man who discovererd this method....