Greetings ! ......

Anything about BXs
martin

Greetings ! ......

Post by martin »

Hello everyone !, I have just joined this forum as i have put a deposit down on a rather tidy BX Meteor i found locally !
I have owned several 'proper' citroens before including a GS Club ,XM 2.0 i Prestige ,XM 2.1 SD and a BX 19DTR and the latter is why i decided to get another BX as it was an excellent buy for £180 ,went like stink, never went below 40 mpg no matter how much i thrashed it ! and only let me down once (broken rubber pipe on fr subframe lost all LHM !) and it had 163000 mls on it when i bought it ,188000 when i VERY regretably scrapped it :oops: . The XM's on the other hand i had a lot of trouble with and dont think i would buy another or recommend to anyone as thier far to complicated ,more things will (and do) go wrong and when they do the parts prices a hurrendous ! For instance one of mine had a bad strut top (rubber became unbonded from underneath,common prob and Citroen know it!) get this price from Citroen ............not much change from £250 !!!!!! JUST FOR THE F###ING STRUT TOP ! :x the Xantia non hydractive ones are a more reasonable £98 ! :x :x
Another failure was the crankshaft pulley that drives the alternator (another common prob) £130 !!! for a F###ING PULLEY !!! :x

Now you know why i went looking for another BX ,so let me tell you about the BX Meteor i have found......
Early 92 , 1.9 diesel , 4 owners, Grey metallic, 44000 mls !!!!
GTi style trim in MINT cond, very good body, good spheres, good exhaust, 12 months MOT, for .............£300 ! ! ! :D :D :D
Problems i spotted were...... Passenger side rear door quarter window badly fixed with perspex, all 4 tyres perished (not bad i know) metal strip inserts in bumpers screwed down and badly joined at meet in middle of rear bumper, low LHM in resr when on MAX height plus some frothing in resr and both front headlight glass unbonded from unit (£10 + vat from EU##ca###rts)

I have one question to ask and was wondering if anyone on here can help me on this car :-

The dealer says the car is a turbo diesel but from what i can gather off the net the Meteor was only made in the uk in 1.6 petrol and 1.9 n/a diesel .
Is this true ?
I am confused because the log book says 1905cc but it has an intercooler on top of the engine ? I thought the BX turbo diesels were all 1769cc. I cant remember what cc my BX DTR (Turbo) said on the log book.
Were the last BX diesel models (92-94) all 1905 TD's as fitted in the TD Xantia's ? :?

Look forward to hearing from you !
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hi Martin, first of all welcome to the site and glad to hear you are back in the ownership of a BX.
It sounds like you may have struck gold and have bought a car which someone has retro-fitted a 1.9TD engine into as I`m led to believe there was never a BX which was originally fitted with that engine. It`s quite possible it`s had a Zantia or similar engine slotted into it at some point. The faults you have discovered with the car don`t sound too major and should be easily fixable and quite a few of us have spares knocking about so if you need anything shout out.
Sounds like you`ve had an interesting array of Cit`s before and it`s nice to know you`ve stuck by them.
Perhaps you could post some pictures up of your BX including one or two of the engine as I`m sure the more technically minded ones on here would be able to tell you more about the engine and the car itself?
Anyhow as I say welcome along, you won`t find a friendlier and more helpful bunch anywhere else!
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Hi Martin, are you sure it's an intercooler and not just a big rectangular black box? some people (dealers) often make this mistake.
Also you mention frothing in the res. I take it you mean LHM res and not the water system. This is likely to be because you are low on fluid and your pump is drawing up air.

Keep us informed.

Regards Ken.
They think it's all over, it is now!
M

Post by M »

Hello Martin and welcome aboard - as a manchester resident there are a fair few of us in the North, in fact you have just missed a Northern gathering - so lots of people nearabouts to give you a lift.

Now to truly curse your BX you need a window sticker.....
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hello martin and welcome aboard Look forward to seeing some pics of your car :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hello Martin, welcome to the club, the Meteors were usually non turbo but got all the nice interiors etc, sounds like you may have got a retro fitted one, they usually had the later incarnation of the XUD 1905 non turbo engine with an enormous black airbox on top, If you have an intercooler there it will have two large black air hoses running over the top of the engine on the left (timing belt )end I wonder whether its a 1769 or a 1905?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
martin

Post by martin »

I am sure its the same engine as what was in my DTR ,that was definately a turbo but why are they called " BX19DTR " ?, whats the "19" bit for ? Very confusing !
I'm sure the black bit on top is an intercooler as i checked the air filter when i looked over the car and its next to the battery like my old DTR.

BIG question has to be though.............. why has it had another engine fitted with only 44000 mls, unless it suffered from the porous head syndrome (thought that only affected early cars ?) or the red/orange 'light of death' ! If affected by any of the above why not just replace the head ?

Do you think somebody may have bought the car previously for the original low mileage engine ?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

martin wrote:I am sure its the same engine as what was in my DTR ,that was definately a turbo but why are they called " BX19DTR " ?, whats the "19" bit for ? Very confusing !

Do you think somebody may have bought the car previously for the original low mileage engine ?
The `19` will stand for 1.9, as the 17 stands for 1.7.
DTR I think is just the spec, similar to L/GL/GLS etc on other cars if that makes sense.
I wouldn`t have thought that someone had bought the car previously just for the engine for a couple of reasons: Firstly, your car sounds like it`s in very good condition so why remove the engine from a minter? And secondly most cars which are bought solely for the engine end up getting scrapped.
Assuming your car is running fine it`s extremely unlikely someone will have removed a good engine from it and replaced it with another good engine even if yours is low miles.
Stick with it and don`t worry, sounds like a very nice car at a good price. :D
Vauxhall apologist.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The DTR is supposed to be Turbo.
It seems in the early days they were called TRD which is the model designation they get on the Continent.
It was changed due to the 'phillistines' entering a letter "U" between the the T and the R but had to be returned back to its original for European markets as apparently with DTR similar things can happen over there with some of their lingos.
I think Julian Marsh may have an explanation somewhere on his "Citroenet" website and apparently, that is a genuine reason. :shock: :twisted:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Alan - the DTR turbo is in fact an additional model - and then became the TZX Turbo.

So the models are BX 19 DTR
BX DTR Turbo

BX 19 TZD
BX TZD Turbo

This causes no end of confusion and was no doubt meant to. The letters reflect TR and TZ trim levels, and as is normal for Citroen the fuel type follows (TZ'D'). TR'D' sounds like something unpleasant in English and so to confuse everyone and spare our blushes they changed the order.

Jeremy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

When I was looking for a TZD I was shown two that were badged like mine TZD TURBO that actually had N/A 1900s in them, the owners were in both cases convinced that they had turbochargers, and that the engines had not been replaced.
Confusing :?:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

jeremy wrote:Alan - the DTR turbo is in fact an additional model - and then became the TZX Turbo.

So the models are BX 19 DTR
BX DTR Turbo

BX 19 TZD
BX TZD Turbo

This causes no end of confusion and was no doubt meant to. The letters reflect TR and TZ trim levels, and as is normal for Citroen the fuel type follows (TZ'D'). TR'D' sounds like something unpleasant in English and so to confuse everyone and spare our blushes they changed the order.

Jeremy
I`ve got a BX19 TGD! And no, it`s not a turbo!
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

My old 1987 TGD was a non turbo 1900 but did have a boost overpressure light in the dash? that car was in my family for years and my Bro never changed it?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

My neighbour has a BX TGDTurbo - and it is the real thing with an intercooler rather than a black box and a Bosch pump.

Interestingly its detrimmed from the TZD with manual rear windows and the grey large seats rather than the GTi type. Otherwise I think its the same - has tinted glass and the sunroof.

jeremy
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I have TGD turbo too - but refuse to believe that anything that's 1900 in a BX will be anything other than normally-aspirated unless retrofitted.

As for the non-turbo turbos, well, it's easier to change over a rear hatch or even a badge than an engine, and there are some people out there who'll do anything to have the words "turbo" on their cars, even if they haven't the first idea what one is....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.